Windows 7 extremely slow when resuming from sleep.

snx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
When I don't use my PC for about an hour or so and I come back it will resume from sleep but it seems to take a very long time for it to resume from sleep mode.

Generally the light on the PC will be off, I'll press the power button and I hear the fans start up, then stop, then the fans start up again and what seems like minutes later the windows splash screen will say its resuming, then once I've managed to log in my desktop will slowly put back whatever was on the screen.

The whole process for me just seems like it takes way longer than it should.

My main specs:

Core i5 3470
8 GB DDR3 RAM
160 GB HDD(5400 RPM)

Solution
Sounds like hibernation rather than sleep. Hibernation is when the memory contents are written to disk and PC shuts off. Sleep is when the PC will suspend the CPU/GPU and alot of other stuff, but keep power to the memory contents.

Sleep is fast/Hibernation is slow.

Hibernation is slow to restart from as it has to startup windows, and then reload the memory contents from the HDD. This may be 8GB or more of data (can be 1.5x your actual memory).

You should check the Power Options in the Control Panel.

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds like hibernation rather than sleep. Hibernation is when the memory contents are written to disk and PC shuts off. Sleep is when the PC will suspend the CPU/GPU and alot of other stuff, but keep power to the memory contents.

Sleep is fast/Hibernation is slow.

Hibernation is slow to restart from as it has to startup windows, and then reload the memory contents from the HDD. This may be 8GB or more of data (can be 1.5x your actual memory).

You should check the Power Options in the Control Panel.

Solution