Windows 7 File Library Browser crashing, other possible problems

Fish Stickington

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
So I was going through my libraries and files and such when I clicked on my D drive and then the window stopped responding and I had to end task. I tried it to click the D drive again and it crashed, it only happens when I click on the D drive.

Just before this problem I had just defragmented the D drive and my main C drive. My C has windows and is on an SSD while my D is on a 4tb HDD. Also before I defragmented the drives I was having troubles with my HDD seeming to drastically slow down, kinda like it might be dying, and a little while after that started I also started to develop internet problems, it seemed like it was just generally slowing down and I recall once seeing my connection in the bottom right on the task bar go from fine, flash to no connection with a red X, and then back to normal connection very quickly.

Also right before I defragmented the disks I was having trouble signing into Steam where it either be the login window would stop responding when I hit enter or it launched the full Steam window after I logged in and then it would stop responding. I reinstalled it and now its fine, it was on my SSD beforehand and I also reinstalled it there just in case you wanted to know.

I have recently reinstalled windows although I have accidentally turned of my computer while it was loading or possibly updating. I don't know if any of these problems have any correlation or something but they all seemed to pop up within a pretty small amount of time between each other. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
You could try running 'chkdsk D: /F' from administrative command prompt (press windows key + x and select administrative command prompt from dropdown menu). If it asks to force unmout of the drive answer no and answer yes to schedule for next startup. Also run this to drive C and reboot the computer. The program will run during the bootup, this may take some time. After this is done open the administrative command prompt and run 'sfc /scannow' to check that all system files are ok, it will try to repair any problems automatically.

Samat

Distinguished
You could try running 'chkdsk D: /F' from administrative command prompt (press windows key + x and select administrative command prompt from dropdown menu). If it asks to force unmout of the drive answer no and answer yes to schedule for next startup. Also run this to drive C and reboot the computer. The program will run during the bootup, this may take some time. After this is done open the administrative command prompt and run 'sfc /scannow' to check that all system files are ok, it will try to repair any problems automatically.

Solution