Windows 7 for HP disk Question

zoltman1991

Prominent
Oct 4, 2018
Hello, a while ago, my IT manager gave me an install disk for Windows 7 (to be distributed for HP).

Is this just a standard disk? or will it only work with HP computers? I plan on using this disk to install on a newly built computer.

With that being said, the SSD currently in the HP laptop has Windows 7. If I pull this SSD from the laptop and use this SSD for my newly built computer, will any issues arise? The SSD is the same model (Samsung EVO 860) anyway. It just already has Windows 7 on it.

That HP disk could install but it will not activate unless it finds an HP motherboard (BIOS).
If you pull the SSD from the laptop and install it on the new system it will not boot.
And if it manages to boot you will end-up with random freezes, errors and BSODs

If you have a Windows 7 license (product key) you could get Windows 7 from Microsoft website.

zoltman1991

Prominent
Oct 4, 2018

Thanks! I figured there would be an issue. The laptop didn't require the key, but maybe because it's an HP laptop. Essentially the IT guy gave me an old laptop with a corrupted SSD if I bought my own SSD. So he installed windows in that.

So I have to find an enterprise version of Windows 7 or purchase it?

zoltman1991

Prominent
Oct 4, 2018

Well, from my understanding Enterprise versions don't have license restrictions? I ask because my friend has an enterprise version and he said he can lend it to me as it doesn't have a limit on how many computers it can be installed on.

There might be seats open for those licenses but it will stop when it hit the limit.
That is a common misconception about Enterprise edition, but the reality is very different. At work we buy Windows in bulk copies and we activate windows 7 using MAK (Multiple Activation Key) and KMS (Key Management Service).
Depending where is installed (office or employee device) we might use one of the other.
We have local activation servers, managed locally so we don't have to use Microsoft's servers to activate Windows and to activate connection to our network is required (remotely by VPN).