Windows 7 Freezes after login, safe mode works fine.

windows7freezin

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
I've had this problem for a few weeks now. My computer will start up, and seconds after I log in the entire system will completely freeze. I cannot move the mouse, cannot use the keyboard, it completely locks up. This happens at completely random times, so it might happen 10 times in a row, or it will be fine 10 times. I've no way of knowing what is causing it. It will only happen within seconds of login, if it doesn't freeze then the computer will be fine until I restart it again.

I can use Safe mode 100% of the time. I had been dealing with the problem by just hard resetting and hoping the next login would be fine. But it seems to be getting more frequent or something?

Things I've tried that haven't worked:

- Setting everything to the default in the BIOS
- Updating all drivers
- Changing what programs start on startup
- used windows repair disk to fix start up - nothing
- checked with memtest no ram problems
- using a ssd no hd problems
- re-seated ram/cpu/gfx
- No new hardware or software

Does anyone have any ideas? I've googled the hell out of this problem and tried everything that I found was suggested and just when I think something might have worked - BOOM, lock up time. I built the computer myself so no helpline!

- ASROCK H77 PRO
- GeForce GTX 650
- Samsung 128GB SSD
- Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

windows7freezin

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

Yes I do have that installed actually! I will remove it but I'm afraid to restart the computer as it might just start locking up again and could take me 10+ tries for it to not lock up.

The PSU came with this case, it is 420w.

http://www.hkc-europe.com/product_detail.asp?id=680

Thanks for the reply! :)

Don't worry I am 99% sure malware bytes is the culprit here, remove it completely and remove the registry entries too as well, you will be fine.

This software will help you to do the job : http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

And I am worried about your PSU too. Technically it can handle the system, but I am not sure if its providing the actual wattage mentioned. Most OEM PSU's inflate the wattage rather than actually they are delivering.

So it will be better if you replace the PSU with a decent one. GTX 650 requires 20 Amperes on +12V rail of a decent 400W PSU, in paper for the whole system, but the GPU actually requires 65W on max load.

Looking at your case I found that a standard ATX PSU will fit. Your case dimension : L = 19" W = 7.16" H = 16.53". Good luck.

windows7freezin

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
It's been turned off/on now about 5 times and no freezing at all. I think that it might have been malware bytes like you suggested.

Do you know why this program would cause the freezing to happen? If it stays fine for the next few restarts it will have been the correct solution.

Thanks, Lonewolf!

I think the software has a driver conflict issue with WIN 7 64bit, it runs fine on 32bit version of OS. Anyways get a decent antivirus software like ESET NOD32 Smart Security, and forget about Malware Bytes. You will be totally safe from viruses and malwares.

Now the nightmare has finally ended, stay happy. Good luck.

ryanjohn1994

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I'm getting the exact same problem here also. Like now for instance I switched on my PC and it froze like 10 seconds after i have logged in onto my desktop. Restarted and it seems to be fine but the next startup is like a gamble. If you have found a solution please tell us and I will also try and do the same!

Im using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit too

-AMD FX 6300 6 Core
- Sapphire Dualx R9 270X
- 7GB DDR3 RAM
- ASUS M5A78L-M USB 3 mobo
- Corsair 750 Watt

subhamsdc

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

thanx man it helped me too.

TRENDING THREADS