Windows 7 freezes at login

peterkessen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
After system boot the windows login screen appears, totally at random the user interface freezes and mouse cursor text cursor and freeze.
No input of the user pass is possble, only a soft(warm)reset bij keeping the on/off button depressed for some time helps.
After this the logon is mostly succesfull.
Problem is not consistent , but appears at random, so is the number of resets required to get it done. Mostly once but sometimes twice or even three times.
I checked log files and could nod find any clous or helpfull data, anyone ?????

Peter.

peterkessen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Tried this before asking the question, everything seems to be OK atleast no errors are reported. Also disabled all startup items not specific needed for Windows.
I assume some device driver is causing the problem, since it is not consistent trouble shooting is quite difficult. Hope someone finds additional possibility's.

peterkessen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Nope.

I tried disabling all resident programms and all programm's at Windows sratup, also disabled bluetooth and antivirus software. But problem persists.
Contacted Acer (system Acer One 260D) comment of Acer hd was fresh system install. Will try this if nothing else relief the situation.

Any additional idea's are most welcome.

P

Calguy79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I have a home brew system and just ran into the freezing at login problem, and I do use CCleaner but i rarely use the registry cleaning option (never saw the point) i use the program cleaners.. i have win7 Ultimate 64 bit edition.. I ran across someone with the same problem back in 09 and he got the problem to go away by disabling Windows Defender (or security essentials by now :| ) and windows DEP... would that work? I also used F8 and used the Boot from last known Good Configuration and its running atm (which is why i can post.. ::sigh:: ) but i dont know if im gonna reboot yet.. lol.. ill post if it works after or if you dont hear from me for a while it didnt...

monkey_tonic

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Oh sweet Odin, please help me.

I've been having what I think is precisely the same problem for a very long time, but have never sought a definitive answer until now.

Seemingly at random, both the mouse and keyboard freeze while attempting to enter my password at the welcome screen during a first cold boot.

This is then followed by a seemingly non-deterministic process of resets which resolve the problem on average between 1-3 resets.

I've have already been through standard troubleshooting, i.e. removing connected hardware, "sfc /scannnow", etc., including a CCleaner fix of the registry.

I am desperate to have a PC which reliably turns on and I curse Microsoft everyday for not being able to supply so simple a function.

Please, pretty please, any and assistance appreciated.

Also, first post here at Tom's!

MrNolan

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I have had the similar issues with Windows 7 on this computer for months since I got the SP1 update. I run Windows 7 Pro at work as well on some of those computers and I have NOT had this problem. This leads me to believe it has something to do with my configuration - software or hardware. One of my issues is I am running an OC'd processor just so I can get the right ram to CPU ratio so it will even work - which it does exceeding well - once I am logged in successfully.
However this whole login freeze event occurs at least 4-8 times a week. Same thing though, I get to login screen, I type in my password and it starts spinning - or I move my mouse to the password area and click it to start typing and then the password field disappears! Or worse yet - I login then it gets into desktop and then the GUI freezes but the mouse still works....d'oh!
If I boot in safe, logged, or safe with network it always allows me in without a hitch. I usually end up restarting the darned computer 2-4 times in a row until it lets me in and starts acting right. Then there's no issues until I shut it off and come back to it the next day. Weird.
I have scanned, uninstalled, reinstalled, disabled, and generally molested most of the settings I know how to mess with here - but it still flakes out on me randomly.
Anyone have any solid science on this yet???

Hey, isn't it easier to reinstall windows?

Just make sure U scan whole C:/ drive for viruses(malwarebites and Trojan Remover), can u restore to an earlier time before it started happening? Could be even video driver(did u upgrade any drivers)?

TRENDING THREADS