Windows 7 Freezing But Not In Safe Mode

thegamersite1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Well, I been having this problem the past 6 days. The PC has been freezing and acting really slow. I would open a program, browser, anything and it freezes for less than a minute and then in 5 minutes or less, it would freeze again. I tried to fix registry, but that didn't help. No virus. I tested the RAM and HDD/SDD, but nothing. I then boot the PC in safe mode and it seems that the PC is running faster than in normal mode. Well, I uninstall the graphic card drivers, but that didn't help either. I also disabled programs from starting up, but still nothing. There's one thing, before the freezing thing started, the PC gave me an error that the CPU was overheating, I changed the fan and the temp is between 30-35, but it looks like that didn't help. What can I do if everything is working fine. Also, I tried to open a game (Minecraft) to see how will it act, but I play smooth and normal, but couples of minutes later it freezes, so I think that the graphic card is fine. The RAM is fine and the hard drives. I tested them all and no error.

I ran a program that has a blue flag (I think is a program from Windows) and it gave me 4 errors.

Hauppauge HD-PVR2 Gaming Plus (Model 157xxx)
Problem: Could not load driver software
Files that help describe the problem:
DMI1F04.tmp.log.xml
oem47.inf

Windows
Problem: Video hardware error
WD-20140324-1243.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Windows
WD-20140321-1728.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Windows
WD-20140324-1252.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Do you have one of these? http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2-gaming.html

Unplug it if you do and tell me if that helps the issue.

It could be that you updated your graphics driver and that device doesn't like it. My suggestion is to uninstall both the graphics driver and the driver for that device, and reinstall them in order (graphics driver first, then Hauppauge driver for the capture device).

If that doesn't solve your problem, I suggest uninstalling all video driver software, including any overclocking utilities (such evga precision x or msi afterburner). Once you uninstall them, uninstall the hauppauge driver as well and restart the computer.

Shut down the computer and boot into bios. Check your cpu temps there and make sure it's ok. If it's ok, make sure your bios settings are set the way you want and turn off the computer.

With your computer off, disconnect your power supply and open up the case. Dust it out with an air can. Reseat your video card and ram and make sure the cpu heatsink is secure. Close the case and plug the computer back in. Start it up into windows and install the latest graphics drivers and overclocking software (afterburner or precision). Make sure you set the fan curve to on for a more aggressive gpu cooling. They tend to run hot by by default before kicking up the fan.

If those don't work, it would be strange. It could be that cpu overheat warning tripped a setting in either your bios or your operating system. It's my guess, though, that it's the hauppauge capture device having an I/O issue and causing a bottleneck.