Windows 7 Freezing on Startup

KeithIsHere

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Windows 7 has been continually freezing on Startup. I've tried unchecking all the startup programs to no avail. I've done two Virus Scan : Malwarbytes Full System Scan, & then a Bootable Virus Scan. I've checked the drivers in Device Manager but there are no warnings. I've loaded a Live Ubuntu Disk that runs perfectly fine and has not froze. Windows was freezing at the desktop but now doesn't even make it that far. It now freezes at 'Starting Windows'. Occasionally it doesn't even get to that, it'll just flash an underscore in the top left-corner of my screen after post. Could this be my hard drive failing? Chkdisk found that my hard drives are okay but I presume that could be incorrect. Any advice? Thanks!

Specs:
Stock HP xw9400 w/added GTX 970 & 3TB HDD for Media

Solution
So, I took a quick look at what your computer actually is link
If this is correct, I have a couple of recommendations.
First, why not try backing up all your data and reinstalling W7. This way we can rule out it being an operating system or software problem. Although my suspicion is this is hardware related.

You could also try adding some more RAM or upgrading the processor (it should not be hard to find these on the cheap for a system of this age). Unfortunately your current one is 10 years old, so it may be having trouble keeping up with modern processes. Ubuntu fixes this because it runs much lighter than W7. Opteron 2222 could give you a *bit* of a boost.
If you are running 4GB of RAM, it might be worth upping that to 8.

Autocrat

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
So, I took a quick look at what your computer actually is link
If this is correct, I have a couple of recommendations.
First, why not try backing up all your data and reinstalling W7. This way we can rule out it being an operating system or software problem. Although my suspicion is this is hardware related.

You could also try adding some more RAM or upgrading the processor (it should not be hard to find these on the cheap for a system of this age). Unfortunately your current one is 10 years old, so it may be having trouble keeping up with modern processes. Ubuntu fixes this because it runs much lighter than W7. Opteron 2222 could give you a *bit* of a boost.
If you are running 4GB of RAM, it might be worth upping that to 8.

Solution

KeithIsHere

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

Whoops, didn't mean to choose 'Best Solution' yet. Anyways, I guess there was a bit of information I have forgotten to add. I have already upgraded this to Opteron 2222, additionally it is running 8GB of RAM. I apologize for not clarifying that, I had forgotten about that. This computer, despite its age, has run flawless (even playing many newer steam games on medium/lower settings) prior to this week. I'll be backing it up and reinstalling tonight, will update then. Thanks!