Question Windows 7 freezing problem

Mar 29, 2019
Greetings to everyone who sees this, and who wants to help me with my problem.
Let's get straight to the topic.
I have a problem with Windows 7 (64 bit) operating system. I don't have any problems with starting a computer, but after a few minutes, after I get on the desktop, the Windows freezes. At that point i can still move the mouse, but i can't start any application, i can only highlight it, and of course i can't even use CTRL+ALT+DELETE to start task manager. I looked on the internet for ways to fix my computer, and I tried this method. First i went to "Safe Mode" with networking, then i installed a CCleaner and cleaned my computer. After that i started registry scan for issues and fixing. I did all of this but it didn't help.

I personally don't think that my hardware is malfunctioning...
I really do think that this is software problem...

If someone knows the solution to my problem and is willing to help me, please do.
Thanks in advance!

One more thing to say. This problem started 4-5 days ago. But it wasn't so strong. The first time this problem occurred was, when i was editing some video. I didn't think to much about it and i restarted my computer, and started again working on my video. But the problem repeated (freezing) and i restarted my computer again, and again, and i repeated this process until of course i came here, with computer so bad that i need help to fix it.

silverarrow77

Prominent
May 9, 2018
Did you install a new video application 45 days ago? Is What is it's name and system requirements.

Also, check to see if you have an antivirus application that is scanning and slowing things down.

Mar 29, 2019
hardware issue.
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
check cpu/gpu temp and usage?
ram/hdd usage?

My system spec
CPU: Intel i5 4460 3,2 ghz
GPU:Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
PSU:550W Chiefteck GPA-550s, iARENA series
RAM: 1600 ghz 4gb RAM DDR3 + 1600 ghz 4gb RAM DDR3
hhd: Western digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

CPU temp, is around +35C (fan speed 1638), but this i got from bios. I tried to run CPUID HWMonitor, and Prime95 to test cpu heat when it is under 100% usage... But i couldn't get any information about heat... I even downloaded Open Hardware Monitor, but i didn't get any heat information.
Note: I can only use my computer in Safe mode... So i'm guessing that it's because of that, i don't know.

And okey look... I give up, i don't know how to do these testings, so please tell me what and how to do and i will do it.

And one more note. This time when i went to normal widows, i could run HWMonitor, and my temperatures of CPU (each core) and GPU were i were 27- 30C. And my RAM usage was about 2,1 gb i think... But my computer now went totally frozen. Earlier i could still use my mouse, but now i couldn't move it even a little...
Last note: Like earlier, i could only use my computer first i don't know 5-8 minutes, but then it always goes into frozen state.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019
Did you install a new video application 45 days ago? Is What is it's name and system requirements.

Also, check to see if you have an antivirus application that is scanning and slowing things down.

I did install that video editing program about 15 days ago... I don't really remember the exact date. But now that you said it, i really didn't checked if i installed the right 64 bit version. But of course, the first thing i did when i went into to safe mode, was uninstalling all video editing programs, and the problem is still not solved. So... I don't know if i should do something more?

Mar 29, 2019
where did yo get the video editing program from?
what the name of it?

The first video-editing program i installed was Shotcut. I installed it from https://www.shotcut.org/download/

Well... Now that i saw this site again, i'm pretty much sure i downloaded the right version.

And maybe, this is also the reason why this all started. The reason i downloaded video editor, was because i needed to make some sport highlight video. And i insert like 5 whole length games into the program, and i tried to edit everything all at once...

Is this the reason maybe...?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019
then it might be driver or installed software issue. after the video editor software, what else did you install
run defrag on the drive?

I just installed some other editing programs, thinking that all problems were because of Shotcut. And when the freezing became a serious problem, I installed all the computer analysing programs. Like system mechanic...

Also, i did have some problems about antivirus. I have avast free antivirus installed, and when i tried to run virus check, i got message that there is some problem with the avast program... 2 or 3 times that message came up, and i had to click, try again. At the end it did finish scanning, and showed that i don't have any viruses.

I didn't run any defrag on the drive..

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019
Memory choice may cause PC freezes. I was looking to identify your choice of memory. Vague descriptions such as "RAM: 1600 ghz 4gb RAM DDR3 + 1600 ghz 4gb RAM DDR3" don't mean much.

Well you see. I installed those RAM memories, like 2 or maybe 3 years ago. And until 10 days ago everything worked just fine...

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019
then it might be driver or installed software issue. after the video editor software, what else did you install
run defrag on the drive?

Just now i finished defragging my hdd, and started computer. Guess what, problem is still not solved. But computer seems to look better now. I mean i don't have complete freeze. Again like before, everything worked just fine 5-7 minutes. But then i clicked on windows start icon and the icon became highlightend and frozen. When i hovered my mouse on windows start button, the mouse pointer showed a busy animation, but the hdd access light was off.

I'm thinking i should reinstall windows 7. Would that solve the problem?

Also there is one more thing... I always saw, in my bottom right corner,a notification about driver updating, every time i started windows in normal mode...

Last edited:

silverarrow77

Prominent
May 9, 2018
Please do make a partition image of your hd after you reinstall windows and applications, but Before installing your antivirus and video editing applications.

Then, install each of your video editing applications one at at time test to see if are slowdown issues. Do this test for the next video editing application and test test again to see if are slowdown issues. If everything works at this point do another partition image of your hd at this point. Then install your anti virus application and test.

This will narrow down the problem, and save you a lot of work if your have to roll back to a previous hd image.