Windows 7 Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

clintwheeler2007

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Hello,

I have been having random freezes/hangs in windows 7 with no BSOD. I left it on for about 30mins to see if anything happens eventually and still no BSOD. Its completely random it could happen within 5mins of turning on the pc or 5 hours.

This has only started happening recently and the only thing i have changed is that i have removed one of my sticks of ram. Could this be the problem? I cant understand why it would be but if anyone has any ideas help would be appreciated because this is a very annoying problem. I find myself having to save work every 5 seconds in fear that any second my computer might freeze :(.

MY SPECS:
nForce 790i Ultra SLI Mobo
Geforce 9800Gx2
intel core 2 quad q9550 2.8GHZ overclocked to 3.8GHZ (Water cooled)
Coolermaster Ultimate 1000w powersupply
1x 2gig corsair DDR3 1600MHz ram
Creative sound blaster Xfi fatality series sound card
600gig western digital HD

I built this pc myself and i have never had any problems with it till now. Im not a computer tech expert everything i know i have taught myself and i consider myself to be reasonably knowledgeable when it comes to pcs but i have no idea what is going on here.

Thanks in advance

Clint wheeler.

Solution
Check out this, type in the search bar "reliability" and "View reliability history" should come up, take a look and when you see the crashes, see if during all the crashes it says "A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly." I'm thinking its something to do with Nvidia's shabby win 7 drivers.

This is what I get with 3 separate Nvidia driver versions.

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20100102-1742.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other...

mogmoogle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Does it randomly freeze, sometimes after 7 mins sometimes 7 hours, and it the screen just stays at whatever it was last, and you can't, alt + control + Delete it. and have to hard reset it?

mogmoogle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Ya it seems to happen with Nvidia cards, my wife has an Identical computer to mine, but is using an ATI card and has no problems, I'm using and Nvidia card and I get random crashes, I think their 7 drivers are messed up, I've seen people complain about all kinds of nvidia models, I'm trying to find a solution right now.

Does your Events log say anything. Mine is showing some stuff, I'm trying to work around.

mogmoogle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Check out this, type in the search bar "reliability" and "View reliability history" should come up, take a look and when you see the crashes, see if during all the crashes it says "A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly." I'm thinking its something to do with Nvidia's shabby win 7 drivers.

This is what I get with 3 separate Nvidia driver versions.

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20100102-1742.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA800614D250
BCP2: FFFFF8800FDCF230
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Solution

clintwheeler2007

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Hey,

My pc just crashed again, i logged the exact time it happened and checked event logs and reliability history. There is nothing at all in any of them for the time of the crash, no errors no nothing, which makes life even harder... i have no idea what is going on.

jackson_64

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I also has the same problem. Its sometimes freez for 4 secs or hangs there and go on forever and i try to format it but still have the same problem but when i defrag my com i much better but still hangs.Its a 3 weeks old computer. Aspire X5810(Q84mr475)

mogmoogle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Never mind its not that, the video card error doesn't co-incite with the crashes Thats probably when I was rolling back drivers. I'll keep looking into it. I disabled all kinds of useless windows services to see if that helped. I heard the problem could be the workstation service. but i'll see

The only actual Error I seem to have is

Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

However I don't have it on, I disabled it, and I believe that it is crashing because the dependence is missing which is ok because I don't use it anyway. Ill keep looking

Now it makes no scene to me because I have no errors reported at all.

What kinda Motherboard do you have jackson?

***edit

Ya I Did notice Significant performance after I disabled about 50 services that were useless for me in windows, and my chipset driver. but I don't know if It made any difference yet, I have to go out. I played a game for about 40 mins without freeze's though before I left, since that game freezes within 5 that might be a good sign. I'll try it again when I get home. but since sometimes it freezes in 10 mins sometimes 10 hours its hard to tell, unless its been over a week.

mogmoogle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Ok I haven't had a freeze in a while, this is a list of what I did, so that you can compare maybe something will help you fix it.

1.) Scan disk, Defrag, Disk Cleanup
2.) Memtest (Didn't do anything)
3.) SFC /Scannow to check for corruption (Didn't report anything)
4.) Updated windows to the latest
5.) Updated All drivers to the latest, Including the motherboard, Chipset, everything. However found that
Nvidia driver 185.85 was the most stable for graphical issues even though they have newer drivers out.
6.) Disabled all startup programs (Didn't do anything, just stopped all the crap from loading)
7.) Checked Registry, Checked for Malware, Spyware, Virus's etc (Nothing)
8.) Disabled UAC (User Account Control) I don't know why I did, but I had a problem with it conflicting with world of warcraft in vista, so I gave it a try (nothing I could notice)
9.) Turned of (APM) power management in Bios, as well as in windows, and put them all on High performance.
10.) I tried compatibility mode with programs, as well as the run as administrator, does nothing as usual.
11.) I Tried another Video card in the system (as well as on board) did nothing.
12.) Checked event log, nothing of relevance, checked reliability history, nothing related to the freeze.
13.) Checked system hardware, no problems there.
14.) Have sufficient power (750 watt Corsair)
15.) Checked System Temperature no problems there when at its max load it maxes at 48 (Even the GPU)
16.) Checked Dxdiag, which revealed all of nothing.
17.) Disabled Aero theme (which made it look like windows 98, so why not just go back to XP that worked in the first place right? Didn't do anything)
18.) Disabled my 2nd Display (Didn't Do anything)

One of the latest 2 things I tried
19.) Disabled Nvidia Physx
20.) Disabled the following windows 7 services. (find by typing msconfig in the search bar)
a.) Application Experience
b.) Application Identity
c.) Application Management
d.) Bitlocker Drive Encryption Service
e.) Bluetooth Support Service
f.) Certificate Propagation
g.) Cryptographic Services
h.) Offline Files
i.) Diagnostic Policy Service
j.) Encrypting File System (EFS)
k.) Fax
l.) Install Driver Table Manager
m.) IP Helper
n.) CNG Key Isolation
o.) Windows firewall (Have my own)
p.) Program Compatibility Assitant
q.) Branch Cache
r.) PNRP Machine Name Publication
s.) IP sec Policy Agent
t.) Protected Storage
u.) Remote Access Auto Connection
v.) Remote Access Connection Manager
w.) Remote Registry
x.) Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
y.) Smart Card
z.) Smart Card Removal Policy
aa.) Secondary Logon
ab.) Adaptive brightness (totally worthless)
ac.) Remote Desktop Configuration
ad.) Print Spooler (I don't have a printer on this machine)
ae.) SSDP Discovery
af.) Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
ag.) Microsoft Software Shadow Copy
ah.) Superfetch
ai.) Tablet PC Input Service
aj.) Remote Desktop Services
ak.) Distributed Link Tracking Client
al.) Remote Desktop Services UserMode port redirector
am.) Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
an.) Windows time
ao.) Block Level Backup Engine Service
ap.) Windows Error Reporting Service
aq.) Parental controls
ar.) Portable Device Enumerator Service
as.) Security Center

If your unsure what these do go here http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/service411.htm
that is a list of all of the windows 7 Services, so you can determine if you need them or not.

So far I've been testing a game that crashes withing 5 mins when I enter it. other games for me crash at other random times or video. or sometimes in notepad. but for some reason that game set it off like 5 mins in. after I changed all this I played the game 40 mins, log out of it. came back later and played for like 3 hours no crash before I quit playing to write this. I'll update if that has not worked later on.

mogmoogle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Still no problems, 24 hrs. I think it may be physx because I had that problem with wow, or it could be one of the windows services, because someone on the nvidia forums had problems with them.

clintwheeler2007

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I purchased another stick of ram so im sitting at 4gigs again and no crashes for almost 2 days. I still dont understand why it was crashing but it seems to be fixed now. Thanks everyone for the help!

G

HI..I am new to this forum.

I got the same freezing problem randomly. I have changed Windows Server 2008 user Theme to Windows Classic.

After this my computer is working with out any freezing problem. I am using RDP between Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit) and Windows XP SP3 (32 bit)

Hope this helps to resolve your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.