Windows 7 fresh install doesn't recognize flash drives.

Papermind

Reputable
May 5, 2014
So I wanted Windows 7 back on my HP Envy 17 3200t.

I believe I first tried the basic Windows 7 OS. The internet didn't work. No problem, right? I could just get the driver from my Mac off the HP site and transfer it via USB. Problem is, the flash drive isn't recognized. When I plugged it in, there was no sound or anything.

Then, I tried several ISOs of the Ultimate version, all of which had the same problem as before; except one. There was one that detected my flash drive, let me transfer the driver and get internet access, only this happened to be a 32-bit OS. Having 2.xxGB RAM available out of my 8GB is clearly not wanted.

I have tried other suggestions from other forums like changing the drive letter but the drive doesn't show up in disk management or whatever. I can't quite figure this one out. Any ideas?

Solution
Your mobo requires various driver to run various OSs, for the USB drivers there may a variety of different ones available like for Win7 32, another for Win7 64, another for Win8, another for XP etc, if the drivers or a compatible driver isn't in the OS you need to load them for the USB ports to work correctly, same for LAN driver, sound, etc....saying you may need to get and load the proper drivers, another option is to take your Lan driver burn it to a CD/DVD and then load from the optical drive and go to the internet direct to get all the drivers you need

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Your mobo requires various driver to run various OSs, for the USB drivers there may a variety of different ones available like for Win7 32, another for Win7 64, another for Win8, another for XP etc, if the drivers or a compatible driver isn't in the OS you need to load them for the USB ports to work correctly, same for LAN driver, sound, etc....saying you may need to get and load the proper drivers, another option is to take your Lan driver burn it to a CD/DVD and then load from the optical drive and go to the internet direct to get all the drivers you need

Solution

Papermind

Reputable
May 5, 2014

Ohhhh, I guess you just worded it differently than I heard. In the original post, I mentioned I couldn't get any drivers off of the flash drive so no, I couldn't "load" any drivers. The DVD/CD option is a great suggestion. However, I don't think I have any around since I moved to another state recently. I'll definitely try to pick something up in the near future. I appreciate the suggestion!