Windows 7 games in windows 8?

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
im trying to play orcs must die! 2 with a friend and i used to play it on my laptop which ran windows 7. My new desktop however runs on windows 8.1 and on the minimum requirements for the game it only says windows xp, vista, or 7. When i downloaded the game in steam and tried running it nothing would happen. I would click it again but it says fails to run because its an instance of it is already running. I go into task manager and see that its running but nothing is happening. I have verified the game over and over and it always says 1 file is missing.

Solution
Thank you all for your time and help in this issue, i have just given up on it pretty much and am just going to home-stream it from my laptop because thats about the only thing thats working haha

Update: i have no clue what just happened... i just reinstalled it for the 5th time and it prompted me to download something called directplay and now it works fine T_T tears of joy, again thanks to everyone who posted here

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Could you explain a little? if that is the case how could i fix it so windows defender doesnt delete it

royalcrown

Distinguished
If windows defender is deleting a file, you can stop it from doing so by opening it from the control panel, then going to the SETTINGS tab at the top of the Windows Defender window. From there it is the second option down on the left, EXCLUDED FILES AND LOCATIONS. You can add your Orcs Must Die directory in there and Windows Defender won't scan it.

Of course it's only going to fix the issue if that is the problem, if not I'll keep trying to help you. I have windows 10 preview on here now but also run 8.1 normally. Havent encountered any games that work on 7 but not 8.1 myself.

Which version of Orcs do you have, Steam or non Steam ?

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

It turns out that it was not windows defender, i put the game files into the excluded area and still no change. I am running Orcs Must Die! 2 on steam. I went into the game folders and tried running the compatibility test on it and it said that it detected and incompatible program and that orcs was incompatible, so im guessing the reason why its not working is because i am on windows 8.1 but i don't understand why it would not be compatible with windows 8.1

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

Have you tried changing the compatibility level to Windows 7? I haven't used Windows 8 since I think it sucks, but I'm pretty sure it has that feature to change the compatibility levels.

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

yes i changed the compatibility settings to windows 7 but nothing changes, the game works fine on my windows 7 laptop though

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Toss a compatibility mode or two at it. Might just need the version lie to get past its own internal checks.

I can go into extreme detail on the Windows ADK and Application Compatibility Toolkit, but it generally isn't even necessary for Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 games. Mostly for getting pesky Windows XP titles to work.

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

i did as you suggested and tried to run it in compatibility mode with windows 7, vista, and xp, but nothing happened. Also my laptop has a nvidia geforce 670m while my desktop has a r9 290x

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

yes i have seen that post before and have updated my graphics drivers and made sure all my other drivers were up to date as well.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Do you have an Alienware ? I found this:

I had this problem....tried to start the game, no message, process just immediately died.

The fix was weird, but here it is:
http://support.robotentertainment.co...cs-must-die-2-

To summarize, go to your steam directory... program files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\orcs must die 2\data\startup\

In that folder, create a user.cfg file with notepad, and add this line:

NoAlienFX

Make sure you save the file as user.cfg, not user.cfg.txt

That's all it took for me (after I tried deleting files & re-dl'ing, beta vid card drivers, etc etc etc).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2851034

Svardagalos

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015

Check this out for sure http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductViewerWithDefaultFilters?TempOsid=Windows%208.1&Locale=en-us&Architecture=X64&TextSearch=orcs%2Bmust%2Bdie&Type=Both&CurrentPage=0&TotalPages=1&ShowCriteria=0&SortCriteria=Relevance&Compatibility=Unknown&LastRequested=14 .You can play it as i can see.So enjoy your game.You can check ever game that you want and you will find out if it plays or not.

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

it says it is compatible but it doesnt run on my computer for some reason

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Svardagalos

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015

Did you download the game or you bought it?

Svardagalos

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015

Its a demo.That explanes everything.I had the same problem but i dont know what to do.I will give you a site.Check it.It contains cracked installers.ry it. http://search.gamecopyworld.eu/games/search_results.shtml?cx=011522635727291636904%3Ah-ipgkinmb0&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=orcs+must+die&siteurl=gamecopyworld.com%2Fgames%2Fgcw.php&ref=gamecopyworld.com%2Fgames%2Fpc_harry_potter_and_the_deadly_hallows_part_1.shtml&ss=4885j2100945j19&sa=Search

As for the roll back.Yea.Try everythink that you can and if you dont find out a solution then ask again for help.BUT WATCH SOME VIDOES ABOUT what can happen.Its pitty not to be able to play a game because you did something wrong. Good luck.I dont know anythink else.I hpoe you will find out a solution. :wahoo:

royalcrown

Distinguished
I'm just tryin to help the OP, I don't have problems with it because I don't own it. thanks :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have encountered a few games that don't play well with certain GPU architectures, but it seems pretty rare. A few that run on my HD6670 but not on my GTX750Ti (Either get black or distorted colors with the GTX, hoping for some driver updates to take care of that)

I never was able to get Metro 2033 to work through steam on my machine. Just something it didn't like on my system, would always drop to desktop half way through the first level with no warnings or messages. (Should give that a try actually, now that I think about it)

Do you an integrated GPU on your desktop? You can give that a try to see if it just the GPU.

TeamKorea

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Thank you all for your time and help in this issue, i have just given up on it pretty much and am just going to home-stream it from my laptop because thats about the only thing thats working haha

Update: i have no clue what just happened... i just reinstalled it for the 5th time and it prompted me to download something called directplay and now it works fine T_T tears of joy, again thanks to everyone who posted here

Solution