Windows 7 getting stuck at Welcome Screen after updates

Clara Lille

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Hy Guys
I recently sufferd from a hardware crash, and bought two new drives (a SSD and a HDD). Since the SSD arrived about one month earlier than the HDD, I did run windows only on the SSD for this time. Yesterday the bigger HDD finally arrived and after installing it, everything seemed to work flawlessly. Windows did some updates afterwards and since then, I'm no longer able to boot past the welcome screen. I read alot of forum articles and this are the steps, I performed so far:

Startup repair - Windows thinks startup is working
Drive Repair - everything seems to be OK
Boot into Safe mode - works
Disable all Services but the ones from Windows - worked at first, but after I rebooted a few times to find the corrupt program, it doesn't even work now with only the windows services enabled
System Recovery - failed two times (altough after the first time, Windows started up normally)
Remove the HDD - still wont boot past welcome screen

I have no free Antivirus Software installed (read that that could be a problem) since I remove those always right after setting Windows up

My Specs:
HP Pavilion DV7-7040ez
2.3 GHZ Intel Core i7
8gb ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
SSD: SanDisk Z410 128gb
HDD: WD Blue 750gb
Nvida Geforce GT 630M 2gb

I don't think, that I got a virus on my system (did not scan yet with malwarebites) cause I wasn't connected to the internet between my system working and getting stuck

Thank you for your help
-CL-

Solution

If you prefer keeping images on disk, you should consider keeping off-site or going with something like RollBack that isn't affected by your OS' current status.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I would recommend re-installing the OS. Even though Startup Repair is saying nothing is wrong, it could be that the virus is preventing a boot, or otherwise the issue isn't detectable. Either way, as your Boot Manager is compromised your two options were to run Startup Repair or Re-install the OS. So you'll now have to do that.

It's recommended that you not only pick up an AV solution, but you also start backing up your machine. A snapshot tool (i.e. RollBack Rx) or a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect) will work.

Clara Lille

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Thanks alot, I hoped that I didn't have to do this, but seems no other way.
I got some images on disks to use, but I will have to do all the updates since the crash again, which costs several hours ;)

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

If you prefer keeping images on disk, you should consider keeping off-site or going with something like RollBack that isn't affected by your OS' current status.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS