Windows 7 Green Screens & Lines across display

bilbo070

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Hello everyone.

Three days ago I installed some windows updates as I went to bed. Turning on the computer the next morning got me a green-tinted screen (from the first BIOS screen) to a fully green screen where the Welcome screen should be.

I attempted various solutions, was able to boot into safe mode, etc, but it would not allow me to do a system restore. After several hours of this, I simply decided to wipe everything and start over. I had great difficulty installing Windows 7 again, as it would boot from the disc but then hang at the set up screen. I would get the blue background screen, but the actual install screen would never appear.

Somehow I got it to appear and got it installed. Everything seemed to be working fine. I did the system updates except for the ones from this month. Once the system rebooted after update, the green screen came right back. I was able to do a system restore to the point of the clean install and the green screen went away. However, I now have random lines and boxes still going across the screen. Everything will be perfect for a while and then the lines, boxes, and squiggles will appear.

This happens both with the motherboard's video adapter and by Geforce card (tried various drivers). I have no idea what is causing this. I removed the original hard drive and did a complete fresh install. Is it the motherboard itself? Any ideas? Thanks.

I took two short videos to illustrate what I am talking about:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhP1Qhq79c&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlo28DCBEw&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solution
Try doing a CLEAN install of the GPU drivers. Since the problem wasn't present until after some of the updates were installed, it's entirely possible to be related to the GPU drivers. Something might be influencing the drivers being conflicted, including another driver or maybe a random .dll.

Follow the steps in the clean driver installation section here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2492424/laymans-simple-guide-solving-graphics-card-issues.html

Then install the latest GPU drivers for your GPU model from the NVidia or AMD website. Knowing your system specs would certainly be helpful.

Try doing a CLEAN install of the GPU drivers. Since the problem wasn't present until after some of the updates were installed, it's entirely possible to be related to the GPU drivers. Something might be influencing the drivers being conflicted, including another driver or maybe a random .dll.

Follow the steps in the clean driver installation section here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2492424/laymans-simple-guide-solving-graphics-card-issues.html

Then install the latest GPU drivers for your GPU model from the NVidia or AMD website. Knowing your system specs would certainly be helpful.

Solution

bilbo070

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
I have tried both the previous drivers and a clean install. I also wiped everything and did a clean install of windows, to no avail.

Also switched hard drives and moved the video card to a different slot on the motherboard. No effect.

My Specs:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Memory 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 - 1.2GB - Single Card
Motherboard [SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16
Power Supply 700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready
Primary Hard Drive 80 GB Intel X25-M MLC SSD - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
2nd Optical Drive 16X DVD-ROM Drive - Black
Flash Media Reader/Writer 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit

TRENDING THREADS