Windows 7 hangs at Shut Down screen

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hello all, Im new to the forum, but I love reading the insightful posts you guys have offered.
Now I'm lookin for some help.
I just put the finishing touches on my home built PC. It started off as minor up grades to hardware and turned into a completely new machine.
As it is now:
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: AMD F14100 3.6 GHz Black Edition
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520
Mem: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
HHDs: 64GB Crucial m4 SSD
640GB Hitachi HHD
2TB WD HHD
GPUs: Dual Gigabyte NVidia GTX 560TI's in SLI setup
Case: NZXT H2 w/ 4) 120mm and 1) 140mm fans
PSU: Corsair HX 750W

Hardware wise, everything seems to be working just fine. The case runs a little warmer than I'd like (I'm open for liquid cooled solutions of anyone has any advice) but when the fans are turned up and the front door to case is open, all is good.
The problem I face is that Window's hangs when I try to shutdown or restart.

I've done clean installs of Windows on all the drives individually (1 drive at a time, by itself so there were no other drives installed on the machine)
I've run a skeleton version of Windows with the bare minimum drivers, although at least 1 of the GPU's has always been installed...
I've replaced the MOBO, just bought a whole new one. I replaced an ASUS M5A99X EVO 990X with the current Sabertooth...
I've replaced the CPU, an AMD Phenom II X4 960T with the current FX4100...
I've deleted the USB drivers and reinstalled them.
I've run all the scans and checks Windows has.
I've looked thru Event Viewer to see if there was anything. (Nothing I noticed aside from the hard boots)

I'm at my wits end... Funny thing is, everything runs absolutely normal except when I want to restart or shut down... :fou:

odwillia

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

Have you checked the drivers/firmware for all of your hardware?

Assuming all your drivers were the latest and greatest, and all OS patches have been applied... Update the firmware on the Crucial M4 and see where you stand. If your problem persists then burn a MEMTest disk, boot to it, and test your memory. Make at least three passes.

Regarding case heat... There shouldn't be any cooling issues with your setup. Not sure how you have the fans configured, but the two front as intake and the three rear / top as exhaust should be where you want to be. You might be suffering from the lack of a side intake (near your GPUs), but that should be minimal.

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Didnt think about the firmware on the SSD. Ill do that today. Do I need to worry about the OS?
I have the fans arranged just like you suggested. The 140mm and 2 120mm at front and bottom are intakes and the 120's at the top and rear are exhaust

th3parasit3

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Ok, now I'm going to reach.

How are you installing the OS? Did you get a clean download, burn, or unscathed disk?

With all the work you did, it seems that you have ruled out hardware, tells us which you have done:
Tried different motherboard?
Tried different processor?
Tried different RAM configurations?
Tried a different PSU?
Tried different HDD as primary?

So have you tried:
Tried different install method?

If you have been using the SSD as your primary this whole time then sadams is probably right about the SSD being the issue.

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Ive installed the OS on the SSD and the 640 GB HDD, separately.
But honestly, Im not following you on the "how" part of the install. I booted to the disc drive, then from the Windows install screen, formatted all the of the hard drives to get them clean of anything that might be causing problems. Then I just went thru the normal install from the Windows disc.

th3parasit3

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I was reaching on the install disc being the problem. On the "how" part I mean, you can purchase Windows 7 online and burn the install disc yourself. Two things can go wrong: a) the download is corrupt in an area and needs to be re-downloaded. b) the burning process to the DVD went wrong and data was corrupted in an area.

Other people like to load the OS from a bootable USB drive.

If you have the official Windows install disc then the only thing to check for is if the disc has been scratched, chipped or has fingerprints all over it.

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
No fingerprints on the disc. I thought that might have been a problem from install 2. Now Im at install 6 with the same problem...
Here's a thought... I have an AMD MOBO and NVidia GPUs... Might that be giving me some compatibility issues? Should I get some ATI series GPUs?

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Ok fellas... I updated the firmware, I ran MemTest86 for 4 hours with no errors, and yet, I still seem to be having issues. After I performed those tasks, I installed some Windows updates. After I rebooted, I was about to jump on Google and I got the BSOD... The error code had something to do with a USB video capture device. Im assuming that meant my webcam. I dont see why that would be giving me major issues, but apparently, it is. Does that make any sense to any one?

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I was reading on another forum that if could be the video cards/ drivers... Seems I have the newest drivers. The only thing that's changed in that department is the SLI set up. There's nothing special I need to install for that, is there?

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Ok,latest update. Windows is fine in SafeMode. I've managed to run a registry cleaner (PCTools) and it came up with a few errors. Im not sure what to do with that tho...
I've uninstalled the video drivers, taken out 1 of 2 video cards, uninstalled all the USB drivers, and taken out 2 of 4 sticks of RAM... I dont suspect the RAM, since I ran MEMTEST86 for 4 hours, but hey, why not...

Now what...???

odwillia

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

If fine in safe mode. Check out this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us

This will determine if background programs are causing a problem. Also you may want to reinstall drivers starting with video drivers most likely.

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Ok guys. Latest update. (Im feeling kinda stupid...)
I got soooooo mad last night I formatted the whole d*** thing.
Before I did that tho, I downloaded everything fresh, the latest and greatest drivers, firmware updates, yada yada yada (to a different HDD that the install drive, of course...)
One thing I did differently tho... I did NOT get the video drivers from NVidia. I got them from Gigabyte... Who'da thought that NVIDIA(!!!) didn't have the newest drivers!?!?
Anyway, no more hanging from Window's. But now I get the BSOD about 5 mins into Windows firing up. Again, its fine in safe mode. I haven't had a chance to work through Odwillia's link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us )
But Ill run that quick as I can today.