[SOLVED] Windows 7 hangs on "Starting Windows" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2020
I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find a solution, so here I am.

You may recognize me from the previous thread "Dual-booting with Windows 10." I managed to get it to work (mostly) and when I turn on my computer, the Windows Boot Manager shows up and I can choose between 10 and 7. Windows 10 works great, being my main OS and all, but Windows 7 is a little different. The actual installation went smoothly, but when I went to boot into it for the first time, it hung on "Starting Windows." It didn't freeze, because the logo was still glowing and animated, but it was just stuck. I looked it up and it said to boot into safe mode. I tried that, and that hung on "disk.sys" (different from what everyone else's problem was, classpnp.sys). At that point I was seemingly out of options, so I came back here. Once again, help is appreciated.

If you need my specs, they're on the previous thread Here

Solution
I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The SFC /scannow command scans all protected system files and will repair any corruptions in the file system, you can also run check disk, if any bad sectors are found, then check disk will try to repair that sector. I have also been able to fix this issue by testing the RAM, take out the RAM and try to boot using just one stick at a time, several times I have noticed that if the RAM is incompatible or failing, it was causing the hang up at the disk.sys screen.
I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The SFC /scannow command scans all protected system files and will repair any corruptions in the file system, you can also run check disk, if any bad sectors are found, then check disk will try to repair that sector. I have also been able to fix this issue by testing the RAM, take out the RAM and try to boot using just one stick at a time, several times I have noticed that if the RAM is incompatible or failing, it was causing the hang up at the disk.sys screen.

Solution

There's little point reviving a 3-weeks-old dead thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.