Windows 7 Hits Milestone 3; Feels Like Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikingex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I do understand the disappointment in Vista to begin with, yes it had terrible issues with file compression, generally moving data around and it was a disk-thrashing hog thanks to Defender and Indexing.

However, most of this was either fixed by SP1 or manually by ourselves. Didn't we tweak XP also? Wasn't that also a memory hog to begin with?

I love the look and feel of Vista, so I don't see why Microsoft should move away from it. People simply enjoy jumping on the Vista bandwagon without giving it a chance :[

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I see nothing sacred about Windows XP.
Windows 2000 Pro is XP without the activation.
I did hear from my brother who used to work at Microsoft,was in the inner circle with Bill in the past and has his own corporation now that over 300 companies are in on the development of the next version of Windows.

enriquein

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Well I for one was forced to use it at work, on my development machine (Vista), and my experience even after SP1 wasn't very positive. I will admit that SP1 improved most of the annoyances, but I still feel that XP is far more effective for both my job and my personal stuff. $0.02

I honestly don't care if they release the next 20 versions of Windows based off Vista, as long as they don't force me off XP.

dimaf1985

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Honestly, who cares if it doesn't FEEL any different from Vista. As long as it's not a resource whore, and doesn't come with all the bloat, i'll switch form XP. So far, it seems theyre going in the right direction. The "ever-useful" calendar, movie maker and photo gallery? I dont think so. Anyone worth their salt with with an inclination to edit photos, make movies, or organize their day can find a whole slew of WAY better and comprehensive third-party programs for these tasks. As far as im concerned Vista is Windows 7 Beta, just like ME was XP Beta, and 95 was 98 Beta. Thats been the pattern: Every other release has been buggy and served to pave the way for much more popular successor. Cant wait for Win 7.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]I dont know, i hate Vista.. I just tried out that new Windows Mojave though and its pretty bad ass.. [/citation]
LOL, made me laugh.
On the topic, I still remember when I first installed xp on a 400 MHz celeron with 128 Megs of RAM, we were all "resource hog this, 98 SE is better that"

I guess history do tends to repeat itself.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
:) me too.

I think its insane that they would be pushing a new OS when they have put so much into vista...

I really think there is something not legal about the apple commercials either, isn't that libel/slander ? especially when so many people who know nothing about computers and have never used vista hate vista.

Thats really how it is. You have people telling other people about all these ''problems'' with vista and then those people in turn are telling other people even though they don't even know what they're talking about.

and here we are now with lame apple commercials saying they have cures to vista ailments... lol, the only one i found slightly funny was one of the first with the different versions of vista. but again, marketing to the average computer user they will not be buying vista business or enterprise.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Just the thought of Justin Long and those ridiculous lying Mac commercials infuriates me beyond belief! I personally love vista (after sp1, driver updates and tweaking). It took me longer to switch to XP than it did for me to move to vista tbh.

Best,

3Ball

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
The "ever-useful" calendar, movie maker and photo gallery? I dont think so.

I personally love the built-in calendar in Vista. It's is very useful, especially since I use Outlook at work and it's basically a less bloated version of Outlook's calendar.

Turas

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I loved the Photo gallery to organize my photos. For simple fixes it was great and I did not have to pay extra for a 3rd party program to do anything so basic. THe other items I don't care about. Hopefully they do keep it available as a download through the live site.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
[citation][nom]itadakimasu[/nom] me too.I think its insane that they would be pushing a new OS when they have put so much into vista... I really think there is something not legal about the apple commercials either, isn't that libel/slander ? especially when so many people who know nothing about computers and have never used vista hate vista.Thats really how it is. You have people telling other people about all these ''problems'' with vista and then those people in turn are telling other people even though they don't even know what they're talking about.and here we are now with lame apple commercials saying they have cures to vista ailments... lol, the only one i found slightly funny was one of the first with the different versions of vista. but again, marketing to the average computer user they will not be buying vista business or enterprise.[/citation]

The illegal thing Apple does with their anti PC commercials is false advertising. They show things that Apple has and makes the viewer believe windows do not have that (ex: you can not recover anything you delete on a Mac... reality, PC has been able to do this since DOS).

I can't watch those commercials because I get mad... I mean really mad at them. I often find myself looking for something to throw at my TV when I see them.

Mac killed my inner child.

magnetik

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
spaztic7, you certainly deserve your nick you spastic idiot. Anyone with half a brain can type in "mac undelete" into Google and see how blatantly you are lying. BTW, where do you think the whole "trash bin" concept came from? APPLE!

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I made the leap early from XP straight to Vista 64 (RC1.) While I had a few issues with things like slow network file copy (pre-SP1) overall it's been very uneventful.

I'll admit that it gets a little silly trying to guess where access to certain features has moved, this isn't new for Microsoft. They must get bored of having things like "Add/Remove Programs" keep the same name in their control panels list for more than a release or two. :)

I also upgraded my 3-year-old motherboard from 2gb to 8gb. Memory was inexpensive as was my upgrade from a 120gb drive to a 500gb drive. I try to remind myself that a computer is NOT like a toaster that you never upgrade... people expect more and more from their system and they expect automation, price cuts, ease-of-use... The fact that I can build a nice system when vista comes out for about $600 when it cost significantly more to build a nice system when XP came out shows me that the hardware evolution is something I would have a hard time fighting.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
It looks totally like Vista! Let's hope it's a repeat of Win95->Win98 or Win98->Win98SE where they look almost the same but got significantly better. Opposed to Win98SE->WinME! :)

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
This is nothing more than Service Pack 2 for Vista. It is what Vista should have been not a new OS. Fortunately I get all my OS's from M$ for free from them.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]dimaf1985[/nom] As far as im concerned Vista is Windows 7 Beta, just like ME was XP Beta, and 95 was 98 Beta.[/citation]

Windows Mistake Edition is not anything close to XP. The Mistake Edition is the last DOS/Win16 OS, and it was so bad that people rather pay a bit more to get Windows 2000. Microsoft started two OS lineage when they introduced Windows NT as 32bit OS for servers and workstations, and Windows 95 as desktop/laptop OS that aimed at past compatibility with DOS/Win16 applications. The lineage goes like this:

DOS/Win3.1->Win95->Win98->OSR2->ME->End of DOS/Win16

WinNT->NT3.5->NT4->2000->XP

Microsoft did it again when new technology was introduced, and the result is Windows Server 2003. Vista 64is built upon WS2003 kernel, and I don't know why they introduced 32bit Vista.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I was under the impression that Windows 7 was going to be a bit more of a thorough overhaul of the base code than just a Service Pack 2 for Vista. It's beginning to look like more of the same...
Not that Macs are guilty of the same thing. Anyone can see how Leopard is CLEARLY better than Tiger. Oh, wait. :p - a Mac User

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Magnetik,

Mac users should be embarrassed about the negative advertising. The ads target people who are ignorant about computers. Most people with half a brain ( as you put it) will be turned off by such slanderous comments. Advertising should be about how great a product is, not how potentially bad the competition is. Wait a second..... Microsoft has 90+ percentage of the market. That being said.... I welcome the day when Mac increases their market share as it would provide the consumers with healthy competition. It seems like Apple is taking a page out of US politics, hoping that there are more ignorant people than informed people. As more ignorant people buy into such idiotic advertising, Apple is simply reducing the collective IQ of the average Mac user.

Before you start name calling. I have logged as many hours on a Mac as I have a PC. There are advantages to both OS’s.

I prefer vista over the Mac OS however I have not tried leopard yet.

Apple should try to show a little integrity and a little class. Maybe then they could increase their market share on merit rather than relying on the ignorance of potential buyers.

If I was a new computer customer with no experience with either system, I would find the advertising by Apple more than a little desperate.

The main reason that I have a PC at home is that I play games and I prefer to build a ferari rather than buy a Fiero that just looks fast.

You can't overclock a Mac.

My current system is.
Antec P190 case with dual PSU 550w +650w
E8400 core 2 duo over clock to 4.1
4 gigs of DDR3 PC10666 ram
4.2 TB of hard drives (media center!!!)
Asus P5E3 Deluxe
2x HD 3870 in crossfire (overclocked a little)
Operating temp is 47C @idle and 55C under load.

Looking forward to Windows 7

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]magnetik[/nom]spaztic7, you certainly deserve your nick you spastic idiot. Anyone with half a brain can type in "mac undelete" into Google and see how blatantly you are lying. BTW, where do you think the whole "trash bin" concept came from? APPLE![/citation]

Wrong. Apple Corp. copied everything developed by *nix in early 80s and patent as if they invented it. The first "trash bin" was "alias rm='mv --target-directory ~/.Trash'". People did that because there was no undelete in early *nix systems. You rm it, and it's gone forever. I know many Ph.D. students have that sort of grudge against none aliased shell environment. PC-DOS has a crude file system to mark deleted files with character '*'. In some way, people still use "recycle bin," and PC-DOS method evolved into journal type file system so that it can restore into previous date. Me, I just press shift whenever I want to delete something.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]silversound[/nom]Nice! Hurry up 7, i like my XP. Vista? No thanks, because I need some old programs to be compatible[/citation]

The last thing Microsoft should do is to hurry things up. Every time when they rushed things into retail, they failed, and they have a track record for that kind of failure since Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.