Windows 7 Home Premium Computer Freezes After Startup, Works Fine in Safe Mode! HELP!

KingOfStone

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Please, I need as much help as possible on this. So here's my problem: I've been working on my computer for 3 weeks trying to fix this problem with no success. Every time after my computer starts up, I log in, and about 3-5 minutes after everything loads my computer freezes up and doesn't respond. I'm able to move my mouse when this happens. I could wait for as long as I want, but each time I end up having to do a hard reset. Here is what I've tried to do:

1.Disk Defrag down to 2%, not working.
2.Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
3.I've installed Avast! Internet Security, removed BitDefender
4.scanned with avast! and found adware, a rootkit, and a dropper (all have been removed)
5.Worked fine until I did a restart.
6.Uninstalled MalwareBytes, worked awesome until restart
7.I did a clean boot, disabled all other startup applications, froze right when I logged in

I am really puzzled as to what is going on. I know it's most certainly not a virus. Is it a problem with drivers? Registry? I do use CCleaner and I've run the registry error fix multiple times in the past. Is that a problem?

I have an Acer Aspire 5552 with Windows 7 Home Premium. Thanks so much!

*I chose a solution to my other question on this, but after a couple of days it started happening again. Sorry Paul!

Solution
Is this on a new install?
What was the last thing you did before this started happening?

It it were me...and after messing with it for 3 weeks (!), I'd probably just to a fresh install. If it still does it, then it is a hardware issue.

USAFRet

Titan
Is this on a new install?
What was the last thing you did before this started happening?

It it were me...and after messing with it for 3 weeks (!), I'd probably just to a fresh install. If it still does it, then it is a hardware issue.

Solution

Brighttail

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
So you found adware...malware and other items, so obviously it wasn't after a full reinstall. I believe you still have some nasties in there. You can try to go in to SAFE MODE and run your anti-virus and other malware removal software to see if it can get rid of anything lingering. This is no guarntee that all will be removed, some are just downright stubborn.

If all that still doesn't work, I would suggest going into safe mode. Making backups of everything you need to do and reinstall the Operating system.

WHen you are talking Rootkit those are downright nasty.

I would like to point out that ANY back up you do, should be done on a flash drive or external harddrive. After you reinstall your computer, I would SCAN that flash drive or external drive for viruses, some can bury themselves in certain backups, depending on what your are backing up. Only after you get that the scan is clean then return your backups to your newly fresh install.

In all honesty, if this were me and i found all that you found. I'd be reinstalling immediately.

You FUBAR with removing the ways to PROTECT your system (removed BitDefender, Uninstalled MalwareBytes) when you know perfectly well your machine was infected (found adware, a rootkit, and a dropper). A ROOTKIT buries itself into the ROOT of the Drive (hence the term) so no matter what you do it loads into the system, and normally and BEST solution to removing it is a CLEAN WIPE AND REINSTALL.

As this is W7, go safe mode, then try to run Windows Easy Transfer, to backup your data to a ext drive (though most likely this will just cause things to be infected ALL over again, I would say at this point your data is a lost cause). Get out your Factory CDs to wipe and restore back to when you first bought the computer first ever turned it on, then do all 200 updates, Service Pack, 250 more updates, before you get to doing anything else like installing AVIRA (do NOT use AVAST! as they got hacked and their program has been a problem since) and Malwarebytes. When your done installing all the other games and software then run BACKUP and make a nice backup image BEFORE restoring your WET.

gtgm_110

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Like Brighttail suggested, go into safe mode and run malware/adware/etc. scans. If it finds anything, note the name of the bug and either post it here or look through the registry for any related files. Certain deep rooting malware/adware bugs like Conduit dig down into the registry and you pretty much have to do things manually to completely get rid of it.

Also, make sure you're computer isn't connected to the internet when you're not in safe mode just in case it tries to redownload anything or the like. Honestly, if stuff still shows up after multiple scans & deletions, clean installs are a safe bet. It's annoying as heck, but the way hackers prefer it

KingOfStone

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

Thanks for all the support, but I managed to fix the problem by running an Avast! Rescue Disk Scan and it found 66 infected files. I removed all of them, including archives, and restarted the computer. I booted it up 5 times now with no problems. I'll create a new one if I have any more problems.

gtgm_110

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

That's good to hear. Viruses can cause some of the weirdest stuff you'll ever see. Earlier this year a friend of mine brought his computer to me to fix because he couldn't connect to the internet - it turned out a bug kept resetting his browsers proxy settings. The only fix was to run multiple scans with different programs (avg, superantispyware, malwarebytes, etc.) in safe mode to actually get rid of it.

Hope things keep working well for you!