Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hello,
Dell Desktop mini tower
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i3, 2100 processor
4gb DDR SDRAM
Intel integrated HD graphics

There was a storm last night and power flicker outtage (a few seconds). PC is on a big block surge protector. This morning PC was on running fine. I was able to get on the Internet, open documents, save files. When I went to print to the copier, it would not send. So turned off copier and PC. Copier came back up but not PC. All the hardware passed the Dell diagnostic test.

PC loads to barely Windows screen, but never finishes and fades to almost black. It will not load in safe mode or safe w/command prompt or network. When I try repair option it loads some of the Windows files and then stops. I can get into bios and have tried using the Recovery disks I made when we got the PC, but no luck there. I do not have a Win 7 Home Premium disk. But, might can borrow one.

Dell says have to factory reset....
Is there anyway I can get to a C: prompt to try to access the files on the hard drive before doing any kind of reset?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
You could use a boot disk or usb. Windows 98 boot (system) disk has all the commands you need to backup your data. You can download a .zip with the files needed. Then you should do a restore as dell advised.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
If you have the Windows 7 disc, start up the computer and hit F12 to boot off the DVD. Go into the recovery options, choose "command prompt" at the bottom.

Type "C:" without the exclamation marks and hit enter
Type "dir" and hit enter
Make sure the directories look like your C: drive, there should be the Users, Windows, Program File folders etc. If it is not right, try D:, E:, etc.

Once you know you are in the right drive, type "chkdsk /r" and hit enter. It will do a full check disc which will take about an hour.

After it is done, type "bootrec.exe /fixboot" and hit enter then "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" and hit enter. Reboot and try to boot into safe mode first.

If you don't have the DVD, try to hit F8 and choose "repair your computer", then follow the steps above.

Deed_girl

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Thanks, I'll try this. I have an old Win 98 Upgrade disc. Man, I should have kept that old Windows 98 floppy! If this disc doesn't work, can I download a Win98 boot (system) from the Internet somewhere?

abhinav_03

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I suggest starting all troubleshooting with the following diagnostic tests. They'll save you a lot of time and heartache if there is a hardware failure, and you'll have the disks on hand in case you need them in the future:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link)
Then run Startup Repair at least 3 times from the installation disk (or from here: Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files )
If that doesn't work, then try "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot" at the Command Prompt.

This presumes that your system isn't infected. If it is infected, you'll have to remove the infection first. I'd suggest posting over in the Security forums for assistance with using a rescue disk to remove viruses: System Security - Windows 7 Forums

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Do you get the "repair your computer" option when pressing F8? That would save you a lot of time, not to mention a Windows 98 boot disc may or may not recognize your hard drive.

You could always pull your hard drive and chkdsk it in another PC.

Muneebhassan

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Buy windows 7 live CD from market. and boot your system with this Window. window live CD will start a temporary window on your laptop. and then u can you inside C : drive to copy all your documents and then Rest the window as HP instructed .

Sherri Mauderer

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
It probably did damage to hard drive. Pull hard drive out plug into esata and pull data off. All u need is the same version of windows disk u have and ur key and u can try n reimage but while plugged into another PC find the diagnostic tool for ur HD ñ run it. If it's OK check power supply make sure it's getting enough power out to ur PC. Then try to format HD and clean install of windows but I'm telling u its probably your power supply even surge protector doesn't always stop it all and psu is a component that will go out a lot. I would still test that first. If it won't load all the way and fades to black its not getting enough power I've had it happen the psu gradually fails that's why it still works some

Status
Not open for further replies.