Windows 7 impossible to install on new laptop

TheShadowCat

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
So I recently got myself a new Asus GL502VS. It came with Windows 10 preinstalled. However, as a fierce supporter of Windows 7, I tried to install many times, adding usb 3.0 drivers and what else. Never managed to make it work, always ended up on a "A CD/DVD device driver is missing" or made it past the installation but stuck on a 0x0000007B blue screen. So I went on the asus website to see the drivers and as I thought there's only "Windows 10" or "Other". And so I was wondering, is my laptop really incompatible with Windows 7, no way to install it? Thanks for the help!

Solution
Looks like the only officially supported drivers are Windows 10 at the moment, and I doubt they will provide backwards support in the future.

It will probably be quite a lot of trial and error to try and find USB 3.0 drivers that work on your laptop. The 0x0000007B BSOD is driver failure, so you're basically getting the same message: the driver you're trying to use isn't correct. I've done a search for Win7 support for the GL502S but nothing has come up, so unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a readily available guide to follow.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't ANY USB 3.0 drivers that wouldn't work, but I suppose there is always a slight chance there isn't driver that will work for you. Best advice I can give is to keep...

Luminary

Admirable
Looks like the only officially supported drivers are Windows 10 at the moment, and I doubt they will provide backwards support in the future.

It will probably be quite a lot of trial and error to try and find USB 3.0 drivers that work on your laptop. The 0x0000007B BSOD is driver failure, so you're basically getting the same message: the driver you're trying to use isn't correct. I've done a search for Win7 support for the GL502S but nothing has come up, so unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a readily available guide to follow.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't ANY USB 3.0 drivers that wouldn't work, but I suppose there is always a slight chance there isn't driver that will work for you. Best advice I can give is to keep trying with different drivers until you hopefully find one that works.

Best of luck, and if you find a winner please post it on Tom's so others will know about it in the future!

Solution

TheShadowCat

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

Thanks for the fast answer, I'll keep on trying until I come up with a working fix, will make sure to update this post if I do, thanks again!