Question Windows 7 infinite reboot

_DRBAS_

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Hello everyone.

Recently I picked up a Dell Dimension E520 desktop from a neighbour who no longer wants it. They aren't sure but they either had Windows 7 or Vista previously installed on it.

When they gave it to me, they informed me it may have a virus so I formatted the drive and planned to reinstall Windows 7 as I had a disc on hand. I struggled to install it, facing many errors and reboots. Every time the installation wizard finished, the system would boot, show "Starting Windows" and then restart. I have tried booting in safe mode which then presented the error to boot into Windows normally to finish the installation. Has anybody successfully installed Windows 7 on this machine without any hardware modifications?

I have successfully installed Windows XP as this is the OS that is originally shipped with the machine but I want to upgrade ASAP. I don't a Windows Vista disc or ISO to use...

Any suggestions on what I can do to get this to work, or is this a compatibility issue with the E520 hardware? Thank you!

_DRBAS_

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Thank you for your reply. This doesn't really answer why my computer keeps rebooting - but at least I know Windows 7 SHOULD work with a bit of effort. Any suggestions?