Windows 7 Install Issue - Hard Drive not detected

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegeorge613

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi, already posted about this issue in the Gigabyte section of the forums. Thought I'd post here for some more feedback, since the issue overlaps (admins please feel free to remove this thread if you think it's redundant).

Building my first computer, and I managed to get it running. I got the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ISO off Digital River and made a bootable USB flash drive. Computer powered up, I set it to boot off the USB drive, and install process started. However, when it prompted me to choose which drive to install Windows to, my hard drive did not show up. I rebooted, set the hard drive to AHCI in the BIOS (native IDE by default), and tried to install the drivers from the Gigabyte website off a flash drive, and still nothing. I also updated the BIOS and tried again in both IDE and AHCI, but still didn't work. I ordered a new hard drive and will try again later, but I'm doubting it's the hard drive (no signs of mechanical failure).

Specs:

AMD 2.4GHz Phenom X3 8750
GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard
WD Caviar Blue 7200RPM 250GB hard drive
G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM
Rosewill 500W PSU

Right now I'm pretty stumped, and any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

babu_123

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I GOT THE SOLUTION :pt1cable:

my problem was also same. it had xp, while installing win7 it was giving error message that hard disk was not detected. so i tried by installing drivers, tried with 32bit version, 64bit version as i read the solution tried to disable HPET in bios but i didnt find in bios. So... finally Changed Jumper Settings... it was detected...and installed windows7 professional.

babu_123

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

I GOT THE SOLUTION :pt1cable:

my problem was also same. it had xp, while installing win7 it was giving error message that hard disk was not detected. so i tried by installing drivers, tried with 32bit version, 64bit version as i read the solution tried to disable HPET in bios but i didnt find in bios. So... finally Changed Jumper Settings... it was detected...and installed windows7 professional.

vinimoon

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

Hi, Can you pls tell what was the jumper setting you changed?? Earliest response is much appreciated.
thanks

D3X

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
i am having a somewhat similar problem, but my computer is one that used to run fine.

i am running
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H V1.0 motherboard
AMD 1100T
Corsair XMS3 16GB (4x4GB)
Corsair AX750
XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX
2x WD Caviar Blue 500GB in singular drives until recently when i set them into raid_0 after the problem started.

it seems like the program that i was installing nearly an instant before my computer randomly restarted and this problem started.

but yet again this problem only started after i wiped both drives in an attempt to bypass the infinite windows recovery option whenever i booted my system. Even then when i started the windows recovery i received an error saying that the windows recovery program could not be started.

Start your own new thread, this one is old.

Status
Not open for further replies.