[SOLVED] Windows 7 install on B450

Dec 30, 2018
So I'm trying to install windows 7 on my new build. I have an MSI B450 tomahawk and I've used the smart tool to put the windows 7 iso into a flash drive but I still have no usb support.

What am I doing wrong?

My keyboard isn't recognized in any of my 4 2.0 slots.

Solution
What I have done is somewhat convoluted, but works.

I created an installation USB drive with my image of Windows 7 and the gigabyte AM4 win7 tool.

Then, using a drive that is connected to a PC with windows in it, create a small partition on that drive, copy all the files from the USB install disk, and make that partition primary, active, and bootable, using the bootsect from the USB drive.

Then, plug that HDD into your target machine, make sure to boot from that, install windows on the target drive, and voila, you will have Windows 7 with USB support.

Please note that having the motherboard drivers and utilities on a USB stick at hand is very important because without those, you will not get internet and no driver download.

As I...

Horrux

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
What I have done is somewhat convoluted, but works.

I created an installation USB drive with my image of Windows 7 and the gigabyte AM4 win7 tool.

Then, using a drive that is connected to a PC with windows in it, create a small partition on that drive, copy all the files from the USB install disk, and make that partition primary, active, and bootable, using the bootsect from the USB drive.

Then, plug that HDD into your target machine, make sure to boot from that, install windows on the target drive, and voila, you will have Windows 7 with USB support.

Please note that having the motherboard drivers and utilities on a USB stick at hand is very important because without those, you will not get internet and no driver download.

As I wrote, a bit convoluted, but ... IT WORKS.

Reactions: mkaafy
Solution