windows 7 install

ashleymoore

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
Hello.
I used a Toshiba windows install disc to install windows 7 onto my new hard drive for my dell inspiron n5050. Now basic computer info in control panel is saying I have a Toshiba computer.Is there anyway to fix this without having to completely wipe window from my computer.

Solution
The Toshiba OEM disc is only for Toshiba laptops, it's illegal to use it on any other make of laptop, and it won't work properly anyway on any other make.

You must remove that installation from your Dell laptop.

Use your Dell Recovery Discs to install Windows 7 on the new hard drive ( you should have made a set of recovery discs using the Dell utility before the previous HDD failed).

If you didn't make a set of recovery discs, contact Dell to see if they can supply a set.
The Toshiba OEM disc is only for Toshiba laptops, it's illegal to use it on any other make of laptop, and it won't work properly anyway on any other make.

You must remove that installation from your Dell laptop.

Use your Dell Recovery Discs to install Windows 7 on the new hard drive ( you should have made a set of recovery discs using the Dell utility before the previous HDD failed).

If you didn't make a set of recovery discs, contact Dell to see if they can supply a set.

Solution