Windows 7 Installation: A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrodw01

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I had a corruption issue with my old Windows 7 installation on my HDD that I couldn't fix, so i decided to buy some upgrades for my computer [these were planned anyway]. I bought a Samsung 840 250 GB SSD and connected it to the computer. I have a P7P55 WS Supercomputer MB by ASUS. The problem is when I try to install windows 7, I get the error "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. Please insert the installation media...etc..." I've tried going into the BIOS and changing around boot order, installing drivers from the MB support disk, cleaning the disk, downloading drivers from the internet off a friend's computer and attempted to install those. I'm not sure what else can try aside from getting a new copy of windows 7 and going from there. Ideas?

RokiBombarder

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Hi guys,

I read your answers about USB, but you can do the same thing with your CD! Look, When Windows is asking for driver, just click Cancel. You will be brought back to the welcome screen. At the welcome screen, remove your CD , than insert it back, wait few minutes and Click Install Now again. The installation process will be like usual. Chose your tipe of win7 (x84 or x64) and thats all... works for me, so why can't work for you ;-)

Good Luck to all :)

Logan Runyon

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
after getting the driver request, I did unplug and replug in the optical drive. it still gives me the error. I tried it in the same SATA connector and a different connector. no luck

MangoJeff

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Guys, here is the trick that helped me: Firstly I was installing W7 from USB drive (windows can be copied from disk to USB drive with commands in SMD Console, no need software: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/create-a-windows-bootable-install-sd-card-or-usb-flash-drive/ ). Look for the color of your USB slot, make sure it is black, not blue. Blue means it is USB 3, avoid it. Plug your external DVD ROM or USB Card into black slot then run setup. If you got this error message - TURN OFF your laptop, change the USB slot and then turn on. That's what helped me. First I was changing slot, it didn't help, then cancel the installation, PC went for restart and everything just repeated. Make sure you turn it off completely before changing USB slot. Also what might help - in BIOS disable "USB XHCI Controller". Let us know if it helped you.

Swifty6938

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !

donovan broadus

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

THe above worked for me as well! be sure that you are using a usb 2.0 drive an dusb 2.0 port!

zeonyphus

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
I've done everything here (and some other fixes) and it still doesnt work. I dont know what to do anymore because I know my computer is capable of 64-bit. also i have used every resource disk, every usb/cd configuration. I even tried on my other computer (witch is also 64-bit capable) and i was still unable to get it to work. I have tried it with Xubuntu 14, windows 8, windows 10, and all of the above on a virtual machine, still without luck. I really need help fixing this becuase i have 8gb of ram and i can only use 4gb. also some of the games i play have issues with 32-bit display drivers and the easiest fix is upgrading to 64-bit. My mobo is the Asrock z97 extreme 4 and my hdd is the seagate barracuda 7200.7 200gb. ive also tried on my barracuda 7200.10 160gb and it didnt work

roy russell

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
i think the old changing the usb port is on the right track, but didnt work for me as the installer ekpt seeing the same usb key, i solved this by preparing a 2nd usb key with the install on it and swapping the initial key for the second untill it saw that, then it chooffed along and installed off the 2nd key,

go figure....

anyway worked for me in the end.

possibly may help someone else that's snookered by the browse just rescanning drive x.

ARCHIEJERRY

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

Michael Simpson

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Hello all

I have to say that after hours of hard core trial and error the only thing that has worked is the USB swap out and plug into another USB socket!!!!!!

Please try this 1st as it could save you hours if not days of wasted time!!!!!!!!!!!!

To anyone with an Alienware m11x r3 (((use the left hand side USB socket))))

:)

It usually happens if you use a USB 3 port. As above plug it into a USB 2 port.

Most of the time this should fix it. Not too sure if it'll happens if you use a USB 3 flash drive in a USB 2 port tho.

However I wouldn't recommend changing SATA to IDE (in the BIOS), if you're using a SATA hdd.

Because once you install windows (and if you change it back to SATA after), it'll probably crash on you

When it tries to boot into windows

Its usually happens with Win7

Cousin Barney

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

Hey Jeff, THANK YOU !! By simply booting up with my USB in a black (not blue USB 3) slot it worked.

msandstr

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

Yes. Yes. Yes.
That worked.
Thanks!

jj4ester

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

This worked like a champ! You are the best! I wasted money buying a Win 7 DVD from a dealer because I thought my win 7 boot on my USB stick was bad. I wasted $125.00!!! My wife was not happy to hear that! Oh well, at least I have a Win 7 DVD for backup, just in case! Thanks again man!

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I was trying to use a nice and fast USB 3.0 thumb drive on a 3.0 port, simply had to move to 2.0 port, I didn't feel like trying to find 3.0 drivers.

Bottom line is that you do NOT have to use a 2.0 drive, you can use a 3.0 drive, you just have to use a 2.0 port and it was still very fast installing onto an SSD.

Anton Prus

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
clean up CD ... works for me several times ... IOATAPI.SYS should be located there... its dirty surface what causes to this error

you can use soap even ) just dry it before usage

Le Nin

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

Thank you thank you so much!! After scouring through the web trying a lot of suggestions, yet to no avail, I finally found this, and IT WORKS. At first I thought it's a problem with my external DVD drive, but then bootable USB still didn't work, even when I changed to USB 2.0 ports. Reading this, I have found a setting in my Asus's BIOS, "XHCI pre-boot mode", that I changed from Enabled to Auto, and to my atonishment all USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports suddenly works (well, except for one USB 2.0 port which then refuse to regconize my stick).
I have passed by tomshardware for some time, now I'm registering to thank you.

Rafa_1

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Ur the man bro... Is all about timing

nickbms

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

I am having this same problem and after trying different USB sticks, all the different USB ports 3.0 and 2.0, creating the bootable usb 4 different times I cannot resolve this problem and it still comes up with the CD/DVD drivers missing error.

I have changed the Legacy from Enabled to Disabled to Auto and this did not make a difference.

There is no option on my ASrock motherboard to change USB 3.0 setting from Enabled to Auto.

There do not seem to be any other helpful settings in the mobo settings that I can play with.

I have only used ImgBurn for the ISO creation, so I haven't tried any other software alternatives for this part of creating the USB.

I have noticed that my motherboard seems to be UEFI - is this the problem? When creating the bootable USB I originally used Rufus as advised by the Novatech staff which has different instructions for UEFI and BIOS setups (and I could not use the ISO I have for UEFI for some reason so could only try the BIOS version), however the second time round I used WinToFlash just in case it was the boot creator software that was the issue. WinToFlash does not specify whether your PC is using a BIOS or UEFI setup.

The PC is running an Intel Celeron 1.6GHz processor with 4GB RAM and is brand new today!

What else can I do apart from getting a CD drive? Are there any other solutions?

hyper_tyl

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015

Hi jeff,
I have been tried this for day long & still no luck, until i saw your solution, u r the man! thanks a lot!

THE_BDC

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
elvalid...YOU DA MAN! This was my issue as well...and I tried EVERY scenario! I have an Asus Zenbook UX31A...they don't have a built-n NIC - but comes with a dongle/USB adapter - Dude I went as far as creating a bootable flash drive (which works on any other computer) and trying to do a Network Install and failed because of the NIC! Thank you sir...

Bojan Davidovic

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Had the problem here also. Nothing worked but that blessed suggestion about turning off the lap top, and only than putting your USB to 2.0 slot. Everything else was fail for me. BTW, if you for any reason restart your PC before it finishes 1st phase of copping the issue will be back. Atleast it was for me, even tho the USB remained at slot 2.0. Just turn of PC and turn back on, it will continue good.

sapo_suicida

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

After trying everything else, this worked for me.
Tks

Mofa

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

This definetly is the best solution. One thing I have to add, when you rensert the USB key, wait 10-15 seconds, to give the system time to discover it. Thanks Hardik!

bkhan136

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

bkhan136

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks Hardik. It solved my problem. When i booted windows setup file from external USB DVD drive i got driver missing error so i just cancelled that windows and connected the DVD to another USB port and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.