Windows 7 Installation is stuck on "Expanding Windows Files 0%" - is back uglier than ever

Bailante

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
Dear Sirs...

I've spent last 48 hours trying to fight the fate (and I know there's been a lot of discussions around this issues). But whatever I do my windows 7 64x would not proceed and is stuck at Expanding Windows Files Stage.
What I've Done:
- I have a pack of DVDs - both native one (OEM) and one from torrents (written at 16x - oh how stupid was I back then and how naive, 4x and finally 2x and 1x speeds) - in vain
- I also created a bootable flash drive to use instead of DVD - did not make any difference
- I tried testing and removing my RAM, one at a time, changed slots, etc. - nope. Memtest runs like a charm, 3 runs with windows utility (and in-bios utility).
- I tried to disable EVERYTHING in BIOS I could find - including support for legacy USB drives (not when I was trying USB though - it would not find it). Could not find any mentioning of Floppy, or Tech Bridge, Or K9 (which helped some other people).
- I tried to eject-reinsert the DVD drive while installing (as some people reported it helped).
- I even switched SATA cables, swapped SATA cables and switched off everything else except for PS2 Keyboard (even USB mouse was gone), HDD and DVD
- I formatted my HDD and I used both "delete partition" and "format partition" - on the dialogue where you choose where to install windows.
- I booted from Boot Disk Utility to check HDD for bad sectors and format it again.
- Finally I tried some vodoo magic which apparently proved ineffective as well...

I am still sitting here and looking at "Expanding Windows Files 0%", wondering if there is a chance for me to get this done..

My specs:
i-5 2500k - processor
P67S-C43 (B) Motherboard
GeForce 560 Ti video
8 (4 Gb x 2 sticks) Ram
WD Blue 320 GB HDD

Would appreciate greatly any help and suggestions... This same PC did not have any issues installing windows last year, when I assembled it...

Dleslie212

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
So you've tried 4 different copies and a USB boot of Win 7?

I ran into this problem myself awhile back, but I really doubt it'll help you any. I was trying to overclock and it failed, and I guess it somehow corrupted my install of Win 7. Every time I tried to reinstall on the HDD that Win was originally installed on, it would hang up on Expanding. I ended up having to get another HDD, install on that one, and format the original HDD before reinstalling

redguy54

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Had this same problem on my first build for someone else. It was bad memory, memtest was good and everything, then I tried my PCs ram and windows installed without a hitch. RMA'd, got new RAM, and it hasn't had a problem since.

Bailante

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
So, so far all options are going towards purchasing either another RAM or HDD...
You saying memtest/bad sectors run for HDD are not good enough to spot the error?

Bailante

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013

Yep 4 differend DVDs and USB flash drive.
Same with me - I was in the middle of Battlefield when everything got really slow and PC never booted up back, restore did not help. So I just decided to format the disk (all data is on the other one anyway) and install it clean - its been a year with this system..

And here we go...

I wonder if I should RMA hard drive first then.
RAM after all - I tried both sticks separately, hardly they both developed the same damage? I also have some old ones but they won't fit into the slots on the motherboard :p

redguy54

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
It was just one of the sticks that was bad for me even after trying them one at a time with memtest. I was ruling them out on my motherboard along with the HDD when I finally figured it out. Honestly, why not RMA both to be sure?

Dleslie212

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Honestly, I would try installing on a different HDD first, especially if you just have an old crappy one laying around or that you can borrow pretty easily. It doesn't need to be very large, 50gb should do it.

dadu11

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
I had this problem for the last two weeks, and I coudln't even install vista or any other system, until I decided install ubuntu 12.04, there you can download gparted and format the partition to ntfs, just look up for a tutorial on google how to format a ntfs partition in ubuntu or create such partition, after that I could install windows 7 with the very same disc I was having problems before.

TRENDING THREADS