Windows 7 installed via bootable usb, but now no usb drivers, no network drivers

MrJelliBelli

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Ok so got windows 7 installed after much trouble
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2955722/installing-windows-dvd-drivers-exhausted-options.html
But now even though i used a usb to boot i can't access a regular usb, it seems that all my essential drivers are missing, no usb drivers or network drivers so i have no way to actually install my drivers in that way.

There is no disc drive in my laptop hence the bootable usb and the fix for even installing windows 7 was a Intel driver overide for the bootable usb. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Is it possible to install other drivers through bios or other boots?

It would make sense if the intel usb 3 utility would just permanently installed usb drivers but that seems not to be the case, have tried both my usb 2 and 3 ports with no results.

Solution
Well two options.
1. Create a bootable linux drive, boot off that and then downloaded the needed chipset drivers. You wont need drivers to get this to work because you'll be booting from bios in to Linux thus bypassing all the Windows stuff. Once your online in linux, download the drivers in to the physical hard drive. Then reboot in to windows and install from there since all the files will now be local.

2. Pull that hard drive, connect to a working computer and download all the files you need on to the laptops hard drive.

Either way does the same thing. I think one will be easier to do since some hard drives are buried deep inside the laptop.

A good link to use for creating an easy bootable linux USB
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

amd4lif3

Admirable
BANNED
Oct 20, 2014
ok so ethernet drivers wont work so get the driver for that the usb ports should work maybe you are pluging your usb into usb 3 ports try standard usb 2 ports this should let you get a usb on your pc with the ethernet driver on it once you have that start windows update and everything should work, if you are using usb 2 ports then go in the bios and look for some setting which is disabling them. for example when my ethernet port was not working i enabled the onboard lan controller :)

MrJelliBelli

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

I've tried both usb 3 ports and usb 2 ports none of them register anything, but it makes sense since there are no drivers for the usb. And i don't have the option to disable usb 3 in my bios hence the elaborate workaround http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2955722/installing-windows-dvd-drivers-exhausted-options.html

Well two options.
1. Create a bootable linux drive, boot off that and then downloaded the needed chipset drivers. You wont need drivers to get this to work because you'll be booting from bios in to Linux thus bypassing all the Windows stuff. Once your online in linux, download the drivers in to the physical hard drive. Then reboot in to windows and install from there since all the files will now be local.

2. Pull that hard drive, connect to a working computer and download all the files you need on to the laptops hard drive.

Either way does the same thing. I think one will be easier to do since some hard drives are buried deep inside the laptop.

A good link to use for creating an easy bootable linux USB
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Solution

MrJelliBelli

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

Nice this is exactly this kinda answer i was looking for. Glad there is an alternative to pulling out the ssd, was kinda thinking that was the only drive where i would be able to put files on which the laptop could read, and I did not want to start disassembling it.

I'll try option 1 out and let you know how it goes.

MrJelliBelli

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

Got it working, used the YUMI tool from your link to boot up Linux, I just used Ubuntu since that is what I am used to.
Copied all the drivers from the included disc, some of them worked (They were meant for windows 10 but some of them had older versions for 7) including the wireless. So I've got wireless up and running and should be able to find the rest of the drivers for USB and LAN.

I cannot thank you enough for the help. Was completely blindsided by all the workarounds needed to get windows 7 working on newer hardware.

Best regards MrJelliBelli

Glad I was able to help out.

peteralbright

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

Hey so I got my Linux Mint going, but I tried to download MSI BIOS drivers to start and I don't know how to get them on my hard drive.

You'll want to start a new thread asking for help on it. We don't know your situation and this thread is on the old side.

nasryus

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

OH MY GOD thank you!!! You have no idea how rare of an answer you have here! This is exactly what I've been searching for for hours!

I've just made a bootable Linux drive using the yumi solution from your link, and downloaded the USB and wireless LAN drivers on Ubuntu and saved them on my hard drive.

Transfiguration

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016

This was an awesome idea! had the same issue, Thanx a ton bro!

Transfiguration

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
A little side note for those using YUMI to make your bootable thumb drive: DONT use Yumi to format your thumb drive during install of your choice of Linux OS! I used Mint and kept getting an error. Use a different format option prior to using YUMI and shut off Virus protection. AWESOME SOLUTION azaran! worked like a charm! to find your hard drive for downloads in Mint go to options in firefox and choose your place to download drivers, just pick the biggest drive! LMAO! Remember: K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid!

drAgon_2

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016

LVL70MAGE

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017

LVL70MAGE

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
This happened to me. I put windows 7 on my Asus notebook I have another driver disk from my other PC that has a Asus Motherboard and when I put the disk in the notebook first thing it did was download the driver for the network card lucky I guess was able to download rest of drivers through windows update

Tudor Stefan

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

Can you explain this again , more detalied , i dont understand eng that good , so if u can explain more detalied i will be very thankful

lionstar62

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018