News Windows 7 Is Dead. But not for Professional Overclockers

Very interesting.
I know the article made reference to "great lengths" to which the overclocker would go to install older OS's and that they consider it almost a trade secret.

This must include the methods by which they are able to "fudge" the older drivers to work on the newest hardware. I would love to know just how they do that.

If I knew I would gladly keep my Windows 7 forever.

artk2219

Distinguished
Very interesting.
I know the article made reference to "great lengths" to which the overclocker would go to install older OS's and that they consider it almost a trade secret.

This must include the methods by which they are able to "fudge" the older drivers to work on the newest hardware. I would love to know just how they do that.

If I knew I would gladly keep my Windows 7 forever.

You can just do a manual install of the driver. You need to find an .inf thats close enough then just do a manual driver install through device manager (you can use most windows 8 and some windows 10 drivers in windows 7). Normally if it fails the device will just stop working and you can go into safe mode and remove the driver.

you can use most windows 8 and some windows 10 drivers in windows 7

MOST hardware from the last two years or so don't HAVE Windows 7 or 8/8.1 drivers. Going forward, there will be practically zero hardware manufacturers offering drivers for these obsolete operating systems because Windows 7 is now EOL and Windows 8.1 has a MUCH smaller user footprint than Windows 7 did. Most users who WERE on Windows 8 have already migrated to Windows 10. Hardware manufacturers don't want to have to develop drivers for multiple platforms any more than what they absolutely have to, because that costs money and resources in man hours, so if they don't have to, they won't.

As of yet, I have RARELY seen a Windows 10 driver that was manufacturer specific, versus a "generic" Microsoft supplied driver that allows for only basic functionality rather than full featured usage, that worked in Windows 7.

I think if we revisit this article in a year we will find that much as when the world moved on from Windows XP, Windows 7 will have been left to the pages of history. I know a few fairly astute high end enthusiasts and overclockers and to the best of my knowledge, they are ALL using barebones or fully fleshed out versions of Windows 10 for everything now because they realize that testing on Windows 7 is not realistic when it will not be in use by the majority of people. Anything done on Windows 7 is no longer realistic because that is not what most people are or will be using going forward.

Reactions: artk2219
Jan 4, 2020
In the article, "professional overclocker" Joe Stepongzi says : “Nothing is more frustrating than when you are chasing a world record on liquid nitrogen cooling, and Windows 10 starts doing an automatic update -- even when there is no Internet connection!” I am just a home user but even I know how to disable automatic updates in Windows 10, it is an option in Windows 10 Pro, and only required a few minutes work and tweaking in Windows 10 Home.

USAFRet

Titan
And "chasing a world record on liquid nitrogen cooling" has exactly zero to do with normal users and what OS they use.

That is like NHRA crew chiefs tweaking the specific nitromethane formula for a sub 6 second burst, and comparing that to the gas you and I buy at the pump.

If he's chasing a record, why is that system connected to the outside world and worrying about forced updates.

Yes, any "professional overclocker" that isn't smart enough to have disabled the automatic update feature one way or another, is probably not somebody that OUGHT to be a professional overclocker. But then again, we have plenty of people running companies and businesses that are absolutely clueless so in truth it's not a very surprising relevation.