Windows 7 is showing the BUILD 7601 Copy of Windows not genuine message after too many hardware changes

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I read through the forum and saw that several members have dealt with the black screen and message that says "BUILD 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine" message

I have this same problem because I changed too much on my gaming PC. When I first built my PC, I installed Windows 7 and promptly went to town by downloading the SP1 update. I waited to activate windows until after I downloaded the SP1 update...my first mistake. I had bought the Windows 7 Home Premium box, but it wasn't SP1. Foolishly, I did the SP1 install and realized that I should have activated Windows FIRST.... before I did the download. It wasn't too difficult to rectify but I had to call customer service, I explained the situation and I was validated via a live tech person.

From there, I ended up adding more DDR3-1600 memory, and installed 2 graphics cards to the mix. In doing so, I deactivated the AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor graphics (used with my ASUS F2 A85-V Pro motherboard). I installed my two newly installed cross-fired MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Cards.

With all that in mind....

I started getting messages popping up the the graphics cards are not those associated with the license. Naturally that made sense to me since Windows 7 SP1 had been registered as having the AMD A10-5800K installed for graphics. I figured no big deal, I'd just close the window upon start up. I wasn't into calling Microsoft over it and left it go. Another mistake on my part as I came to learn.

Then back about January of last year, I got the black Windows screen and messages that suggested I wasn't running a authorized copy of windows. In researching this online, I read that as part of the updates, Microsoft basically scans the system and doesn't recognize the new hardware. I had no idea that your supposed to contact Microsoft within 3 days of making such changes. I'm sure they have it written somewhere but I never read that. I had no idea. So I basically just let it that way for over a year.... as my PC was boxed up for about 9 months because of a divorce I'm going through.

This brings me to earlier this month when I unpacked and started to use my PC again. I figured I'd finally call Microsoft. Well..That didn't go good at all. I provided the product key found inside my Windows 7 box and also the activation code I pulled up on my PC by right clicking COMPUTER and PROPERTIES and under "System". The customer service rep said my code was not valid and did everything in his power to get me off the phone. I tried to fully explain the situation and ask how to go about correcting this issue. The rep told me that I can try is send an email to something. Unfortunately, he had a very very heavy accent and after telling me 3 times I still couldn't understand what he was saying. After the third time I still had no idea what he was saying other then I need to email Microsoft. That pretty much ended his helpfulness. I'll just leave it at that. Very frustrating to be sure. I'm now living with the black screen and trying to figure out just what to do. Short of having to buy a whole new Windows 7 Home Premium certificate, how can I go about rectifying this?

Everything I'm reading on the internet seemed more geared for someone who never bought a legitimate copy of windows and just wants to make the windows stop popping up saying I may be a victim of counterfeit software. I now realize that I was supposed to contact Microsoft with 3 days of doing my upgrades but had no idea of this back when I installed all the new hardware.

Solution
Owning a boxed copy you not only should be able to change hardware you should be able to uninstall it and install it on a new system with no problems.

However because of your constant issues and never contacting customer service to fix it, the copy of Windows sort of "phones home" and has likely blacklisted your product key as if it was used illegally.

Unfortunately without Microsoft to unlock it you are up the creek.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Usually doing hardware changes like RAM and GPU's do not affect the licensing of Windows. SP1 is also just an update and I don't think that should affect your licensing either. May I ask where you got your Windows 7 CD key from, as it does sound like you are a victim of a counterfeit Windows 7 key.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Owning a boxed copy you not only should be able to change hardware you should be able to uninstall it and install it on a new system with no problems.

However because of your constant issues and never contacting customer service to fix it, the copy of Windows sort of "phones home" and has likely blacklisted your product key as if it was used illegally.

Unfortunately without Microsoft to unlock it you are up the creek.

Solution