windows 7 keeps freezing

Mike12431

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
OK, so this is becoming a big issue here and I just cant figure out specifically what the problem is. About two weeks ago my dad was installing windows updates for his windows 8 laptop and it froze midway through the process and had to reboot it. Once back on the desktop he tried to do the update again, and again it froze half way through the process. He decided to skip the updates for a while, but as he was browsing his folders, windows just froze. No blue screen, black screen, anything of that sort, and it just kept freezing at random points within about 5-10 minutes into the desktop. I used the recovery drive to reinstall the factory windows 8, but again it froze anyways and it had escalated to the point to where the hard drive is no longer recognizable by its BIOS. it is now being repaired under warranty at HP.

Now to my computer... About 8 months ago I took my dads old ASUS desktop which was also having the issue of freezing near boot up. I reinstalled windows 7 on it (no factory recovery, just plain ol 7) and the issue went away. Last week I decided to upgrade its ram from 4gb to an 8gb kit and it didn't have any issues. Later my brother gave me his old MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr and I bought a new PSU to go with it. After I got it all set up I played a game or two without issues. But the next day I went to go to windows update, and long behold, it froze half way through the process and upon reboot it was freezing up within 5-10 minutes of reaching the desktop, just like my dad's laptop. I re-installed 7 again and successfully installed all of the new updates without issue. But now the desktop behaves differently. It still freezes, but it seems to be when I am actively using it. I can have Steam download all of my library throughout the day and night, but when I start browsing either Firefox, Chrome, IE, and even browsing through the computer, it will just freeze and I will have to hold down the power button. (Edit) I haven't run into issues when playing steam games.

I have been looking all over for solutions, and nothing seems to be working. I have run memory tests, hard drive tests, registry checks (all of which passed), virus/malware scans, updated all out of date drivers, rolled back drivers, pulled out one of the ram sticks, switched them, made sure all connections are secure... I can't figure it out. There doesn't seem to be any issues when running in safe mode or clean boot. I don't know what else to do now, and I hope my desktop doesn't end up like my dad's laptop. I get the feeling Microsoft's updates caused this issue, but I'm not entirely sure. Any help would be awesome.

Specs:
Intel i3 2120 3.3ghz
WDC WD15EARX-22PASB0
ASUS P8H61-M PRO
Avexir Core Series 8GB Kit (2 X 4GB) Dual Channel 240-Pin DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
RAIDMAX RX-500AF
MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr

Solution
im afraid your HD is at the end of his life replace it before you dont have acces too your files anymore
i had almost the same problem with my ssd 6months ago and i lost everything on it because i did wait too long
my sympton was that i was unable to install service pack 1 on windows 7

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Which windows update is causing the problem? Check the control panel - windows update - view update history to see which one(s) fail.

You could temporarily prevent the freezing by disabling the windows update (don't check for updates). But you will need to figure out the problem to keep your system patched.

When I have seen this type of behavior before, the only thing I have ever got to fix it is (yet another) fresh install of the OS.

Mike12431

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

I don't know what update is causing the issue because ever since the last clean windows 7 install, the updates worked without a problem, so nothing is listed as an update failure. But the freezing persists anyways. And I always turn off automatic updating.

Mike12431

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Well, I ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics program for the third time and now it shows an error, Status code = 07 (Failed read test element). Is it normal to not have that show up after the first two scans?

nachthavik

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
im afraid your HD is at the end of his life replace it before you dont have acces too your files anymore
i had almost the same problem with my ssd 6months ago and i lost everything on it because i did wait too long
my sympton was that i was unable to install service pack 1 on windows 7

Solution

Mike12431

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

So what happened? Why was the problem dormant for so long until I did another windows update?

nachthavik

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
i only had the problem with installing the service pack first i did ignore the service pack but at the end windows forced me to install it everytime i boot so i had too look deeper too find the cause and in my case it was my ssd and i think its just a mather of luck wich kind of data is blocked on your disk