Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on new build?

Relay2rl

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
I'm currently using Windows 7 pro retail and going to upgrade to new MB, CPU, Ram...
Can i still use the Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on the new system install? Or do i need to install 7 first, then upgrade?

Solution
the free upgrade time is over. you can keep using your win 7 on the new build or you can buy a win 10 key to use win 10. but you can no longer upgrade to win 10 for free. so no your win 7 key won't activate win 10 like ti did during the free upgrade period. you missed that window by about 6 months!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the free upgrade time is over. you can keep using your win 7 on the new build or you can buy a win 10 key to use win 10. but you can no longer upgrade to win 10 for free. so no your win 7 key won't activate win 10 like ti did during the free upgrade period. you missed that window by about 6 months!!

Solution
Math Geek, I never thought that the OP was thinking about a free upgrade during his post because he didn't mention a free upgrade and that is such ancient history that nobody even talks about anymore.

The more I think about it, the OP was probably thinking exactly along those lines. Good catch.

Colif

Win 11 Master

this is the only way to still upgrade to win 10 free

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its up to Microsoft, they are the ones who offered it and if your conscience can live with it, I can't see why not to take it. He has a licence now, its not a win 10 one but its not like he wanting a OS completely free - he just slow in taking the offer all of us had for a year.

Its like running without activating windows 10, you can do it but whether you should or not, is another question. Microsoft don't seem so strict anymore, look at how you can easily move the OEM between hardware now, they seem to have relaxed.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
last month i installed many windows 7 and 8 laptops and activated windows 10 with the 7 license

afik, those laptops didn't had the free upgrade before so it is still valid i think

i would get a cheap win 10 home license for 20 or 30 dollars and see how it goes

still, being a reatil license lets you uninstal from one and install and activate in another many times without issues, if something happens you can call microsoft to get support activating that same key or get a new one if you have problems with that one

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

i keep forgetting about that little opening they still have. good call there. yah if you do it that way, then you can still get the free upgrade. as far as i know that does not change anything about the install and it does not need any actual proof you use the assistive tech features. you just got to click the box and say "yes i do".

so i stand corrected :) works out for you!!! Merry Christmas

5sn0vm

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

because you can use a windows 7 key to activate windows 10
i dont know if its still the case
why waste money on a new key if you could use an old one to get windows 10

Stephen Webb

Honorable
May 27, 2013
If you started with Windows 7 and Upgraded to Windows 10 on a retail copy your Key is now associated with 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Download the Microsoft media creation tool. Make a USB stick its super easy and Install on your new PC. When it asks for your Key you just enter in your Windows 7 Key.

Dont install 7 first. You want a clean Win 10 install

Colif

Win 11 Master

If he started on 7 and updated to 10, he would now have a win 10 licence, as they all convert to win 10 licences after one month of being on win 10 (even retail). Then he could have followed this link and matched it to his email address, and then he wouldn't need the licence key again anyway, Win 10 would auto activate itself once he logged on again using the email address.

But he didn't say he did that, he is asking about upgrading from 7 to 10 now.