Windows 7 keyboard and mouse won't work in login screen of any windows option

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Hello there,

I used to multiboot Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Windows 7. Two days ago I had to get space so I deleted Ubuntu and rebuilt the MBR via the recovery drive, and deleted old updates from Disk Cleanup. Right after it did a critical update. I used the computer and restarted the computer a few times smoothly.

Today, when I opened my computer I realized mouse light went out right before the login screen, and I couldn't input anything on screen. Both keyboard(laptop's own) and mouse(wired, and I used this for at least three months) refused to work. I restarted a few times (with hard reboot) but no change. System boots normally but keyboard and mouse were no use.

I booted in both Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking, to only get the same result. I was able to move in recovery drive loaded in a flash drive. Seems that I can use the keyboard in anything besides my Windows installed. I tried the Ubuntu Live USB I used to set the multiboot (In fact I'm writing from it) and they work smoothly.

What I have done:
chkdsk /r /f c: d:-All clean.
sfc /scannow-Windows File Checker couldn't find any integrity violations.)
Startup Restore-Can't find any problem
System Restore-Can't restore, unspecified problem 0x80070020 (Google tells me it's related to updates but can't seem to find a fix, and there's only one restore point created after that update)
Memory Check-Clean

What I'm going to try:
Kaspersky Rescue CD
HBCD
Trinity Rescue Kit

If everything fails, I have a kind of recent image to fall back. But I would like to avoid it since the hard drive I backed up to seems to be little problematic with connection.

I think it has to do something with updates though.

I'll be waiting for you, and thanks for looking.

Solution
I found a workaround. You can select "Disable Signature Forcing" in Safe Mode menu. This will let you use the peripherals for one boot.

I got tempered and flashed back a backup. It's all done.