Windows 7 Launching October 23, Says Acer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

if you have vista ultimate do you get a free upgrade or a substantially cheaper one? (upgrade to w7 ultimate)

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Nik_I[/nom]the sooner the better...[/citation]
no, more like the later the better. i want this operating system to be cream of the crop and am willing to wait for it :)

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
How about dropping all this hype bullshit and get Linux. Yup, that is what I said. LINUX. It's FREE, constantly being upgraded, not PATCHED and runs great. Yea, I know... no games... blah blah blah... but ALSO no ANTIVIRUS!

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Yup, that is what I said. LINUX. It's FREE, constantly being upgraded, not PATCHED and runs great.[/citation]
Wait, what did you say right before that:

[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]How about dropping all this hype bullshit...[/citation]

Irony, I loves it.

[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Yea, I know... no games... blah blah blah... but ALSO no ANTIVIRUS![/citation]I'd rather have an antivirus and be able to play games :heink:

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
im defenitely open to try linux, but i wouldnt know where to start; ive been a windows pc user for so long; i think you linux users should stop being so hostile; people bitch and praise what they like and use so it gets better

moe2freaky

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
The only problem with Linux is gamimg and I am not a fan of dual boot OS. I would switch over in a heart beat if the latest games run on Linux.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]moe2freaky[/nom]The only problem with Linux is gamimg and I am not a fan of dual boot OS. I would switch over in a heart beat if the latest games run on Linux.[/citation]
Try Ubuntu, a lot of newcomers love it. I don't like it since for me, seems a lil' restrictive.

http://www.ubuntu.com

[citation][nom]silversurfernhs[/nom]im defenitely open to try linux, but i wouldnt know where to start; ive been a windows pc user for so long; i think you linux users should stop being so hostile; people bitch and praise what they like and use so it gets better[/citation]

Have you ever tried WINE or Cedega?

As for this Windows 7 launch date, I would really like to see people getting off the archaic XP boat and get on a modern operating system.

deltatux

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]How about dropping all this hype bullshit and get Linux. Yup, that is what I said. LINUX. It's FREE, constantly being upgraded, not PATCHED and runs great. Yea, I know... no games... blah blah blah... but ALSO no ANTIVIRUS![/citation]

Potayto, potahto, u say "upgraded" we say "patched". As for hype Win7 deserves every single bit it's getting. I've been using beta 7077 and its light years better than any previous windows version. As for not running a virus scanner, only an idiot would have such blind faith in a OS to trust they wont get a virus. Though thats not to say there aren't valid reasons for not using one.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Yea, I know... no games... blah blah blah... but ALSO no ANTIVIRUS![/citation]

wow, thats like saying, "Yea, I know... no sex... blah blah blah... but ALSO no CONDOMS!

"Yea, I know... no car... blah blah blah... but ALSO no INSURANCE!

shall we keep going? since when do we put fun aside? we do everything we can to have fun, and get thrills. You need a refocus on life man.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I don't like dates. Dates are bad for programmers. Microsoft needs to push for a 2009 release but if the debuggers aren't giving a green light there is no reason to shove the OS onto the consumers. I will wait for quality.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Kami, did you try and let windows update find a driver, it found my sound card and gfx car drivers for me (the betas for W7 obviously) but they werent the Microsoft Crap drivers, they were full fledged drivers (like the exes...) except the OS did all the configuring (like blind installing)

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
contrary to popular belief, there are malicious codes out there for linux and there are anti-virus programs out there as well.

two things make most linux distros resistant to virii.
1. you actually have to input your password to make a system change, windows only asks if it's 'ok' and most idiots hit the button even before reading the pop-up.
2. literally everyone and his mother is on windows, making it logical to make a program that targets as much users as possible.

I'm not saying I hate windows, I use both linux and windows. even if windows is just for games and everything else is linux.
seriously, the first thing that I encountered in vista, and this was well passed the initial screw ups of the OS, was an error that made me need to reboot.

there's WINE too, and most recent games run decently with it.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]antemon[/nom]and most recent games run decently with it.[/citation]
I'm yet to find one to be honest. I've even tried resource-light Source games like L4D and I can't get >10FPS with everything on lowest settings. Switch back to Windows and Im' pushing 70-120FPS all on max. Difficult choice to make, hmm?

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I'm yet to find one to be honest. I've even tried resource-light Source games like L4D and I can't get >10FPS with everything on lowest settings. Switch back to Windows and Im' pushing 70-120FPS all on max. Difficult choice to make, hmm?[/citation]

Yeah there's really no debate when it comes to this. Which is why i'll always keep a Windows PC for games, and a lighter, cheaper Linux PC for internet. Dual booting is annoying.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
agreed, dualbooting is kinda annoying... especially if you get attached to one of your boot partitions and stop using the other. vista and xp for me but i havent booted up into xp in forever. think i might just go reformate... :)

ehenry818

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I hope people finally drop off the unstable, bsod XP. Microsoft seems to be heading in the right direction.
One thing I hate about XP is it looked like a 5 year old colored it with crayons to make it. Vista and Windows 7 are very sleek. I think they should do away with XP. It was a mistake that just keeps Blue Screening.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 and a huge improvement over XP.

Spread the windows 7 word. Buy Buy Buy
Apple: Sell Sell Sell(or throw in the garbage)

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]emepror[/nom]if you have vista ultimate do you get a free upgrade or a substantially cheaper one? (upgrade to w7 ultimate)[/citation]That'd be nice. I have Vista Ultimate x64 running on my computer now, because my last rig died in January and I didn't want to wait the better part of a year to replace it.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]How about dropping all this hype bullshit and get Linux. Yup, that is what I said. LINUX. It's FREE, constantly being upgraded, not PATCHED and runs great. Yea, I know... no games... blah blah blah... but ALSO no ANTIVIRUS![/citation]
You cant get a virus with a typewriter either, but Im not about to run out and get one because of it.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]ehenry818[/nom]I hope people finally drop off the unstable, bsod XP. Microsoft seems to be heading in the right direction. One thing I hate about XP is it looked like a 5 year old colored it with crayons to make it. Vista and Windows 7 are very sleek.[/citation]
not with vista skins... ***wink***
jk, i totally agree, xp looks quite childish, windows 2000 was all bare bones and looked technical. thats what i liked about it.
7 and vista have such a goregeous interface :)

Status
Not open for further replies.