Sep 11, 2019
I have HP elitebook 2450p bought second hand and downgraded to windows 7 couple years ago. Recently tried to create a bootable partition in hard drive. It is slightly less than 5 GB. Unfortunately made it active before putting in the unzipped version of the win7-64bit iso. Naturally does not boot anymore. But I create4d bootable dvd and changed boot sequence to boot from dvd as first choice but this did not cause to boot. No change at all.

Why no change? I thought the muck up would be corrected if I booted from DVD which has happened before . Is the BIOS on the active partition which also has the boot files? Is there a way to open the partitions with a partition manager so I can make the correct partition the active one again. Silly question though, because some form of boot is required?? either from the dvd or usb and if that wont happen what can a partition manager do? There is a setting to reset bios to default and says my data will be wiped. Should I disconnect hard drive and save data. I am so confused please help

Solution
Have you booted from the DVD before? The condition of the hard drive should not affect a DVD from booting. Do you have the install media you used to install windows 7? Another possibility is to find another computer and create a bootable repair DVD from the EaseUS Partition Master program, which contains some partition repair utilities. There are probably other partition programs that will do the same thing, but I've only used Partition Master so it's the only program I can comment on.
Have you booted from the DVD before? The condition of the hard drive should not affect a DVD from booting. Do you have the install media you used to install windows 7? Another possibility is to find another computer and create a bootable repair DVD from the EaseUS Partition Master program, which contains some partition repair utilities. There are probably other partition programs that will do the same thing, but I've only used Partition Master so it's the only program I can comment on.

Reactions: mohinih
Solution
Sep 11, 2019

Dear onespeedbiker.
Many thanks for the advice and help. I have booted from the DVD drive previously, and have created a windows 7 installation DVD to re-install windows. I was baffled I could not boot from the DVD drive either, with the same error message “non system disk or disk error, press any key to continue”
I read your advice which is useful which I’ll follow if my problem does not resolve. But my problem seems to be that a polythene film was stuck between the DVD and drive on laptop. I have to try to reinstall windows now which I will do as soon as I am out of this place in 4 hourd
I plan to have copy of Easeus Partition Master as well in case I run into more partition-related problems
Thanks,#Mohini H