Windows 7 Memory Bug Could be a 'Feature'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
There may actually be a bug but I suspect it is in reality systems that are unstable for one reason or another (drivers, heat, unstable overclocks, etc). Some sites used extremely poor journalism to report this issue. I am glad to see this site giving a fair report.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
UPDATE:

After emailing back and forth with the VP Sinofsky, it was found that the chkdsk /r tool is not at fault here. It was simply a chipset controller issue. Please update you chipset drivers to the current driver from your motherboard manufacturer. I did mine, and this fixed the issue. Yes it still uses alot of physical memory, because your checking for physical damage, and errors on the Harddrive your testing. I’m currently completed the chkdsk scan with no BSOD’s or computer sluggishness. Feel free to do this and try it for yourselves. Again, there is no Bug.

Thanks all.
http://www.chris123nt.com/2009/08/03/critical-bug-in-windows-7-rtm#comment-11466

G

[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]"teh stack"I bet he thinks he's so 1337...[/citation]

LOL! My first reaction too.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't know about CHKDSK (Wikipedia says '/r' requires a disk-level lock, so yeah), but whenever I ran ScanDisk and tried to use my computer, any disk access would reset ScanDisk. I quickly learned to NOT run other things while scanning/repairing a disk. Since CHKDSK /r is not able to run with other things writing to the drive, this means CHKDSK can use as much memory as it needs, what else would be running that needs that memory?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
and now one will ever get that error because people are to lazy to actually run a chkdsk anymore. Many have never heard of it and don't even know what it is for.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I don't know about CHKDSK (Wikipedia says '/r' requires a disk-level lock, so yeah), but whenever I ran ScanDisk and tried to use my computer, any disk access would reset ScanDisk. I quickly learned to NOT run other things while scanning/repairing a disk. Since CHKDSK /r is not able to run with other things writing to the drive, this means CHKDSK can use as much memory as it needs, what else would be running that needs that memory?[/citation]

Your system drive is the only one that cannot be run with a /r from within the OS. It will require a reboot, but other drives that are hooked up just work (as long as there are no active handles to them).

If its the former, I'd suspect that chkdsk going out of bounds of the available RAM after the reboot regardless of the fact nothing else is running. However if it is another drive or a flash drive or something, Windows may be devoting a ton of RAM to chkdsk and slowing down the viewing of pr0n and the pwning of the nubs by those that do not know that if you need to run it with /r...you should to start it and then stand ten feet away and stare at it and consider becoming religious in hopes that the data is not gone.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gin Fushicho[/nom]The question is... will they ever fix my "0x0000004E" error? I always Bsod hen I browse the web.[/citation]
you probably have bad ram...doesn't happen to me :p
check your OC and your RAM

G

The only bug I care about that I hope is fixed in RTM is the issue Im having with Explorer. About 75% of the time I right click on an icon(even the recycle bin) Windows Explorer stops working and restarts itself. I had this problem with the beta and rc1.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Is this bug related to when I mount a disc image such as game and install it, my memory will slowly climb to 98% ram being used out of 4gb.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Is this bug related to when I mount a disc image such as game and install it, my memory will slowly climb to 98% ram being used out of 4gb.

I experience the exact same thing, the memory climb up to 90% and more while installing from an image, making the computer (Quad + 4Gb) unresponsive or too slow. i searched in google but nobody seems to mention this problem which was weirder. That bug is present in the beta and even 7600 build , and i still need to verify the RTM. so what could be the problem ? any of you guys experienced it besides Volks1470 ?

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]you probably have bad ram...doesn't happen to me check your OC and your RAM[/citation]

Indeed, tap your ram voltage up one notch, see if that cures the sniffle.

telim

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
"No matter how ready for primetime any operating system may be, it's never impervious to bugs."

Wow. That is a brutal sentence. You completely mangled the english language. There are at least 2 major grammatical flaws in this, the first sentence of your article! Shame on you!

How about: No matter how 'ready for primetime' an operating system may seem, it is never impervious to bugs.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
how about somebody comment on the bug i noticed instead of a grammar lesson, it seems i'm not alone and it's pretty serious as i'm obliged to restart the computer to restore the memory consumption level to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.