Windows 7 mouse stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

kslot

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hello,
I have Windows 7 since Sept. 2010. My mouse and keyboard worked fine. 2 days ago it quit working. I plugged into a XP machine and it works fine. I just went out and bought a new mouse and keyboard and it doesn't work either. I get an Error 43 that the device isn't working properly. Checked with Dell and all my hardware is working according to their tests. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reinstall USB controllers

-----------------------------

Use the Mouse

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

hairball home

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I've had the problem with my mouse not working & getting error code 43. A simple fix is to unplug & take out the computer battery (laptop). Wait a few seconds & put the battery back in. This is the only thing I have found that fixes the problem. Mouse will occasionally fail, but taking out & the battery & putting it back in gets the mouse working again. Good luck.

mansal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

This worked for me. I turned OFF the legacy support which were previously ON from the BIOS, booted normally, connected mouse - didn't work.
Then I turned ON the legacy support in the BIOS, booted normally, re-connected the mouse. Alhamdulillah it worked.

Thanks edmond419! :)

mansal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

This DID NOT work - I tried this first before going with edmonds' suggestion.
I even lost some other USB drivers too, would have to reinstall them again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.