Windows 7 network printer going off line

JimReid45

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I'm really confused. I have read several threads and nothing seems to answer the question. My configuration:
I have a Dell Desktop with a Brother printer hardwired and shared to everyone.
I have a Linksys wireless router (desktop hardwired everything else is wireless)
I have two Toshiba notebooks both with a wireless connection to the router and out to the internet....no problems.
Finally, I have a HP wireless printer in a bedroom that keeps going off line. I checked the setup and it appears to be correct and connected to the network. I can ping the printer at 192.168.1.100 and it sees the printer but the printer has gone off line and I can't get it back online.

What have I tried:
1. Shutting off the printer and restarting it....no good.
2. Reconfigure the printer for the wireless connection, finds the network....still off line on the other computers.
3. The Brother printer is also off line. Rebooted deskto that Brother is connected to and that didn't do anything.

I think there must be something in my network that is setup wrong. I can't see in a network diagram the printers. Either one.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

You have just run into a maddening aspect of Windows: When you try to print, and the printer temporarily cannot be found, Windows will often permanently mark it offline until you manually put it back online.

To put a printer back online, right click on the printer, then click on "Use Printer Offline" to uncheck it.

JimReid45

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Thanks, I'll give that a try next time it happens. Problem is that I don't print that much and when I do I want it available and it's always happening when you least expect it. Thanks for the response and I'll be sure to reply when I get a chance to try it.

Thanks again.

JimReid45

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

This appears to work!!! Fantastic. Shouldn't have to do it every time but it's better than not knowing what to do.

Thanks,

Jim

bestpg

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

I have a problem I hope you can help with ... Dell desktop, HP Printer. My printer goes off and on when computer goes off and on ... I seldom print and don't want the printer coming on with computer startup. I would like to be able to turn on printer when it's needed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Haich21

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

I've got the same problem and tried doing the above but unfortunately I don't have that option when I right click on the printer. Is there another way?

I've got a hp laptop hooked about to a hp Laserjet CP3525 printer(wireless connection). It was working previously but like most others it's gone offline. I just want to know what are the options on getting it back online? Please help!!

casbalaa

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I also have the same problem, it is driving me mad. I also have an hp printer. It used to work fine with both PCs and now it doesn't. tThe only way i have found to sort it is to go onto devices and printers and remove the printer then add it again. Even then it is only a temporary fix. Is this just an HP issue or a windows issu?

tcl95

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
That keeps happening to me too with an HP printer and multiple laptops trying to print to it. I thought it was an issue with the ip address thats assigned to it when the modem gets reset, but can't figure out how to avoid having to remove it and then add it as a device. This happens on my work and home setups, both have hp printers and are used by wireless connections. Any other advice out there?