Windows 7 Not Detecting 2 of my GPUs

calvyno

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I have 4 video cards in my PC, 2 1080 Ti's, and 2 GTX 780s. When I perform a fresh install of the nvidia drivers, it only detects the 1080 ti's. The 780 cards are nowhere to be found.

I tried swapping the 780s to different pcie ports. When starting up Windows after doing so, it shows the icon in the taskbar while it's detecting/installing the 780 cards, and it looks like everything was installed fine without any errors, but after that, the cards don't show up anywhere, even the device manager and MSI Afterburner only shows the 2 1080 ti cards, but not the 780s, as if the cards didn't even exist.

Does anyone know how I can get it to detect the 2 780 cards as well?

Some additional info:
- The PC has 2 850w power supplies, one powering the 2 780 cards along with the motherboard/cpu/hdd. The other is powering the 2 1080 ti's, so this isn't a power supply problem.
- I am not using SLI. All cards are plugged in independently.

Solution
Unfortunately you aren't going to be able to do that on a single system that has 10 series cards. If you want to use the 780s for mining your going to have to put them on their own system. The cheapest route for this would be to do some good old fashioned Craigslist hunting for a basic cheap system that'll only cost you like $20 or something and has just good enough hardware in it to run windows 7 or windows 10 and then do a little more hunting to try and get the necessary power supply that you'll need to run those cards at Max load for hopefully less than retail and then slap it all together.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
only one motherboard? that's your problem. you can't run different cards when it comes to nvidia. they have to be the same card. and when it comes to the 10 series you can only run two and no more. nvidia technology for multiple cards is called SLI and SLI only works when you have more than one of the same card. For example a 1080ti can be paired with another 1080ti but a 1080ti and a regular 1080 cannot be paired and will not work together. that is why you are having issues.

calvyno

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

None of the cards are in SLI, they're all plugged into their own individual PCI-E ports with no SLI. Sorry I forgot to include that bit of info.

calvyno

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

I was trying out some mining, so I was going to try using the 2 780s to see how it works. I didn't want to drop extra money to build another pc so I was trying to connect them to my personal PC that has 2 1080 ti's using risers. I already confirmed the risers are working and the cards are working on a friend's pc. I also already confirmed all the pcie ports on my motherboard are working by moving my ti's to the ports. I'm just having trouble having my PC detect the 780s when I have all the cards connected..

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Unfortunately you aren't going to be able to do that on a single system that has 10 series cards. If you want to use the 780s for mining your going to have to put them on their own system. The cheapest route for this would be to do some good old fashioned Craigslist hunting for a basic cheap system that'll only cost you like $20 or something and has just good enough hardware in it to run windows 7 or windows 10 and then do a little more hunting to try and get the necessary power supply that you'll need to run those cards at Max load for hopefully less than retail and then slap it all together.

Solution