Windows 7 not genuine

DEATHREAPER363

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
So when i installed my win7 off a dell disc aorund the house it worked fine i never needed to enter a code i thought i didnt have to. but maybe a month later or two it says its not genuine so now every month i have to rearm it in cmd and my dell win 7 64-bit pro never had a code. it came with a dell computer my mom bought and i though i could save $100 using the one here and not buying one. please help i wanted to upgrade to win10 but my os is not genuine.

Solution
Big companies like Dell & HP provide OEM copies of Windows. They are linked to the specific computer they shipped with and cannot legally be installed on another computer. The often don't come with a key as it's embedded in the BIOS of the machine. So when it was installed on your mum's computer it would have activated itself just fine.

But you can't legally install it anywhere else.
Big companies like Dell & HP provide OEM copies of Windows. They are linked to the specific computer they shipped with and cannot legally be installed on another computer. The often don't come with a key as it's embedded in the BIOS of the machine. So when it was installed on your mum's computer it would have activated itself just fine.

But you can't legally install it anywhere else.

Solution

DEATHREAPER363

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

oops, never knew it wasnt legal. well poop looks like im paying 100 bucks for win 7

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If your intent was to end up with Win10, just go with Win10 straight up. Its not worth the hassle saving a few dollars buying Win7 just to upgrade.

The hassle:

After installing Win7, need to do all the updates for Win7 prior to having the Win10 upgrade. Then there's time spent downloading and then upgrading to Win 10.

Creating Win10 install media on DVD/USB in case needing to reinstall. Which theres a good chance you will do just that since following an upgrade often bring issues.

Serial key will no longer be valid for Win7 after month using 10, so will have Win7 there doing nothing.

DEATHREAPER363

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

yes i have it on a surface pro 4 here and i really like it, but just in case my games and steam stuff doesnt run right i wanted to be able to go back to win7

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Yea sorry your right all you need is the key which this will help you: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/get-windows-product-key#get-windows-product-key=windows-7

When buying a key, keep to the same Windows 7 version you have, Home premium most likely, otherwise you'll run into problems. I know you can't use a Home Premium Key for Windows Professional, not sure if other way around, a Pro key used on Home Premium.

After making Win7 Genuine and after 'If' you upgrade to Win10, your key will then be registered on Microsoft servers so if you ever did reinstall Win10 again you can skip the product key part. Win7 key wont work there anyway.

@ Junkeymonkey True, i went back to 7 because of issues + i had 5 days left to make a decision to stay or go. I went back to 7 but in future i would like to have DX12. I read Vulkan (OpenGL's Successor) will be a force and will be on Win7. Just hope it gets a little love from developers.

Regarding Win10 issues again, more people that are on it now experiencing problems the quicker they get resolved by the time i get on it again. By then probably Win11 will be expected -_-.

DEATHREAPER363

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

i actually have windows pro but cool thanks for the info