Windows 7 not recognising Enter key not even through the on screen keyboard

Oct 23, 2016
Hi I have a serious problem with my Windows 7 Home premium 64bit. It is not recognizing any enter key inputs, not even from the onscreen keyboard. I used 2 different keyboards. Tried all the different USB ports and the computer is simply not recognising enter inputs. I even used a program to rebind enter to / and it did not recognise that either. My friend told me to go to the Bios to check if it works there and enter key does work at the Bios level when starting up the computer after pressing F2/Delete. So the Bios recognises Enter key inputs but when logged on fully it does not recognise Enter key inputs. I dont have a windows installation disk to do a clean re-install as my computer was OEM, so Microsoft doesnt let you download it with an OEM key, simply saying contact computer manufacturer, which I bought like 4 years ago...and whom has no financial incentive to help a customer beyond warranty... So I was wondering if there is a way to solve this through some other method. I did a system restore, but I didnt have a system restore point from before the problem started which was 5 days ago now. Then I tried uninstalling the keyboard software then rebooting and plugging them in fresh. But the problem is in the Operating system or some virus affecting it. I also read that I had to check the anti virus software to make sure that isnt causing it. I did, and then I did a virus sweep and it said there are no problems or viruses detected. Although every time I click the troubleshoot program, it launches and then the troubleshooter program closes instantly. (p.s Apologies for the lack of paragraphs in this post). As is evident from my sole purpose here, seeking a solution to why my computer is not recognizing enter, I cant use enter thus... Which is annoying as I cant write things with paragraphs or use any program or function that requires pressing enter, even just searching the internet was annoying having to manually click the search icon after being so used to just pressing enter. Although I can use enter at the Bios level when starting up, which isolates the problem's cause a little, maybe. Assistance ASAP would be most kind. If there is a solution like installing some system program that fixes this, or if you can think of a system program I might have lost or uninstalled that would cause such a problem. That would help. Ive ordered a Windows re-installation disk for like 6 pounds (as I do'nt have one on hand anyway), hopefully my OEM key will work with that. But I have this suspicion that the problem may be in something program based that was corrupted or removed and might be fixable before that windows 7 re-install CD turns up, which might take as long as a week, which limits what I can do until then...

Solution
Your user profile must have gotten corrupted somehow which can happen for various reasons including viruses. There is something running when you login with the original profile that is preventing the Enter key from working which is why it works while in Safe Mode as all unnecessary processes and software are not started. It could be a malicious software that runs at login or could also be due to something that was changed or added to the registry for that profile. If you are happy with the work around you discovered, which is creating a new user, then we should be good.
Oct 23, 2016

Yes it works in Safe Mode. I just did what you stated, went into the Safe mode thing and I could use Enter after that when it loaded. What do I do from this point?
UPDATE: I tried switching user accounts. Was a long shot. But switching user accounts has revealed (i had to create a new user account) that the problem seems to be with the user account that I use. So as a fix I am going to just move things over to a new user account. Still a mystery as to why my current Windows 7 user account is not registering enter key inputs even from the onscreen keyboard..

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Your user profile must have gotten corrupted somehow which can happen for various reasons including viruses. There is something running when you login with the original profile that is preventing the Enter key from working which is why it works while in Safe Mode as all unnecessary processes and software are not started. It could be a malicious software that runs at login or could also be due to something that was changed or added to the registry for that profile. If you are happy with the work around you discovered, which is creating a new user, then we should be good.

Solution