Windows 7 OEM and buying a new motherboard

jonnyboy6969

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
I currently have an i7 4770k, R9 290, 12 RAM, and ASUS z-87k mobo.

I'm looking to buy another R9 290 to go dual Crossfire and just realize the PCI speeds on z-87k will be 3.0 x8 2.0 x4. Which is a waste. So I'm going to buy a new motherboard: Asus z-97-A. Since I had this computer originally built by Tiger Direct 2 years ago they gave me Windows 7 OEM. I'm kind of scared I'll have to buy new Windows 7 with this new motherboad. Wouldn't be the end of the world but would still suck to spend an extra $100. Anybody know Microsoft's CURRENT OEM practices for new motherboards? Everything I can find online is from 2013-early 2014. Think they will re-activate it for me if I say the motherboard is dead? I mean, ha, midaswell be dead for my purposes.

Solution
No promises, but when you attempt to activate online, it will likely fail and tell you to call in. While the license agreement for Windows 7 OEM has not changed and requires you to purchase a new Windows 7 license, many people have reported successful reactivation after calling Microsoft without having to purchase a new license. Again, no promises.

-Wolf sends

napster100

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I've heard of people telling them the motherboard died and it working for them before. I've personally never needed to do this. But its likely it will work since hardware fails can't be helped, they will happen.

Wolfshadw

Titan
No promises, but when you attempt to activate online, it will likely fail and tell you to call in. While the license agreement for Windows 7 OEM has not changed and requires you to purchase a new Windows 7 license, many people have reported successful reactivation after calling Microsoft without having to purchase a new license. Again, no promises.

-Wolf sends

Solution

jonnyboy6969

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Thanks guy. Basically what I was expecting. Wanted to get some possibly more up to date info than I'd found though. Would suck to have to buy Windows 7 again so close to Windows 10 release.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Ask this question in a new thread, not in a random, nearly four-year-old thread that has only the slightest relationship to the subject of your question.