Windows 7 older gaming laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ady20

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hi there guys,

I wanna buy a better laptop (I have a Thinkpad T400 atm). I want to use some light games on it, like dota or lol. Is there any brand you can suggest me that supports win 7? Of course I am talking about refurbished/used laptops. Is there some with some nvidia 920m or something like that?

Thanks a lot.

Solution

nVidia provides Windows 7 drivers for the GTX 1050 (Notebook and Desktop edition)
https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/135677

As your budget is only $500. The best I think you can hope for is a used Core i7 6700HQ and GTX 960m off eBay.

If you scour around. You might get a GTX 970m and 4th gen i7. Perhaps even 6th gen. If you are willing to deal with cosmetic issues.
There's a whole bunch of them. You just want one with a 6th Generation or older Core i7 and GTX 1050 or higher GPU (for decent gaming performance). Obviously any GTX 900 series will work and performance will depend on your choice. The main factor is the generation of CPU. Skylake or older. The other parts should all be Windows 7 compatible.

What is your budget?

Windows 7 is not compatible with Intel 7th and 8th generation CPUs as well as AMD Ryzen APUs / CPUs. Microsoft basically gave money to both AMD and Intel in return for including circuitry in their APUs / CPUs to not allow anything older the Windows 10 to be installed on the desktop / laptop.

The Legion Y520 has a 7th generation Intel CPU. You will not be able to install Windows 7.

nVidia provides Windows 7 drivers for the GTX 1050 (Notebook and Desktop edition)
https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/135677

As your budget is only $500. The best I think you can hope for is a used Core i7 6700HQ and GTX 960m off eBay.

If you scour around. You might get a GTX 970m and 4th gen i7. Perhaps even 6th gen. If you are willing to deal with cosmetic issues.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.