Windows 7 on new HD/multiple computers

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I bought Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit for my Windows Vista comp. Now that I am thinking of building my own computer will that cd work on a new hard drive? I know I will probably have to call Microsoft about a new product key but aside from that should I be fine?

cl-scott

Honorable
It depends on which version of Windows you bought. Assuming it was an upgrade version, then the answer to your question is no, it will not work. You will need to buy a full retail version of Windows 7, which will cost significantly more than the upgrade version.

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
So what are the options for people with multiple computers? I plan on buying a new hard drive for this current computer and build another. So what I have two buy 2 different copies of Windows 7 Home Edition? Which is what 300$ ....... I thought I could buy 1 Home edition but could install it on multiple computers, call Microsoft and buy a new product key for each. Is that not possible?

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Is that version of windows tied to the motherboard? What if I just replace the hard drive but everything else stays the same can I still use that upgrade CD? Or is it once you get a new hard drive you have to buy a new windows installation cd as well?

cl-scott

Honorable

If it was an OEM copy, then you are correct, but if it was a retail upgrade, then as long as the OP removed it from the old computer first, it would be possible to install it on another computer. It may require a phone call to the MS activation call center to explain what's going on, and of course if you try and pull one over on them, eventually both of them will be flagged as "non-genuine".

Retail copies of Windows, upgrade and full, have transfer rights. The only catch with the upgrade version is that you have to have a valid license from a qualifying product, because the upgrade version just sort of moves the license from one version of Windows to another.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Rebecca there are a few different versions of windows and different licenses. I'll do my best to put it in simple easy to understand terms :).

Upgrade = name says it all. It merely upgrades one version to the next IE: vista to win 7.

Retail = A Retail license you can install on one computer at a time. Meaning when it's activated... It can only be activated on one machine; however, you may install it on a Different or new computer provided that you Uninstall the OS (operating system) on the current computer.

OEM (builders license) = This license once activated is locked to the MOTHERBOARD only. You may replace any other component and still have a valid license. As cl-scott already said this normally will require a quick call to Microsoft activation line.

Hope this helps :) Good luck with your new build. saw that your building yourself a gaming machine on a separate thread. Exciting. have fun!

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

I saw that but it is only for upgrading from XP or Vista if they had that for regular home edition I would definitely buy it. But, in my case I need to install Windows on 2 separate fresh hard drives. The computer I am on its hard drive is crashing and I need a new one. Then I plan to build a gaming computer so that looks like 2 new copies of windows 7 home edition ... really not fair.

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

For the computer I am building should I buy the OEM version (But it sounds like if I want to replace the motherboard in the future I am screwed)? And, for the computer I am replacing the hard drive buy the Retail home edition? Or two Windows 7 Home Editons. Still a tad confused. Microsoft really should change their policies about how many computers you can install windows on. In this day in age with people buying new ones or building new computers that gets expensive. I have already wasted money now on the upgraded windows version ... so just flustered at the moment.

Hi :)

All you need to do is to install a basic xp or vista then use the Family pack as an upgrade.... you get BOTH 32 and 64 bit discs in the pack and one key that can be used 3 times...

All the best Brett :)

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

For your new build on your other thread I would get the OEM (builders version) for 2 reasons.
1) it's cheaper... Obvious plus.
2) By the time that build is ready to be upgraded (talking specifically about the motherboard) ALL of the other components will be ready to change also (working on a brand new build). You will be upgrading video cards and such way before changing the motherboard out. ALSO (important) with an OEM license. If you get a bad motherboard, or it goes out and you have to exchange it through warranty. The OEM license is STILL VALID. You will have to call Microsoft's activation line and explain that you had to replace the mobo because of defects and they will walk you through an activation. Ive done this numerous times at work.

Lol. I wished Microsoft would do something like that. I agree software is ridiculously expensive. But they won't change their policies ;). Much like the Gas and Oil tycoons. They have a decent monopoly that people pretty much have to have. They'll keep raking in the dough.

G

Off topic I know, but this is exactly why I don't use the over priced - under performing farce that is Windows on my home computers.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
I didn't answer the second part. Sorry. Was the computer your replacing the hard drive in the one with the upgrade? Or what kind of OS did it have?

If it's the upgrade one then follow. Brett928S2's advice.. install vista and use the upgrade. The key should still be valid. Again may have to call Microsoft and explain that you had to replace the HDD due to failure.

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Well my current computer is a prebuilt one. So all I have is the windows vista recovery cd. Can I use that to install vista onto the knew hard drive? From there upgrade vista to windows 7?

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Off topic I know, but this is exactly why I don't use the over priced - under performing farce that is Windows on my home computers.

What do you use? If it weren't for gaming I wouldn't either : / it is unfortunate that Microsoft dominates the way it does.

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Hmmmm so theoretically I can install say XP on both computers at the same time, don't activate but then upgrade with the family pack for Win 7? If I can't use my vista recovery cd that came with my computer to put on the new hard drive ... then this sounds more reasonable than buying two windows home editions which would be over 300$ that doesn't even include the upgrade I already bought.

Hi :)

Umm yes sort of...

Although I sell the Family packs in my shops, we have not used them as we use OEMs.....

I think you MAY have to activate the XPs or Vistas......

Also on the Vista machine you may have to put the service packs on first before 7 agrees to an upgrade....

MS dont make this easy lol...

All the best Brett :)

daship

Distinguished
Retail versions will activate 10 times. It dont matter if you burn it up on 10 machines all at once or activate 1 machine 10 times, after the tenth time you will need to beg for another activation or get a new one.

daship

Distinguished
Even better buy a technet plus subscription.

You will get XP Vista Win7 Win8 Server office multiple years for the low price of $199 and all of the keys you get are retail and activate 10 times so you get 20 of every software for $199, you cant beat it.

RebeccaJM

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
What about my question about my Vista Recovery CD? I bought a prebuilt computer and it did come with a CD to reformat. Now, I am replacing the hard drive so does that make that recovery CD still viable or no? It doesn't make sense that if my hard drive dies I am screwed and have to buy retail windows. But anyway they can make money I guess.

What do you mean retail versions will activate 10 times? How is that possible when everyone says one license one computer. I do have a microsoft xp home edition somewhere ... it is installed on another computer ... a dead one.

Sorry not being ungrateful I appreciate the replies. I just can't stand spending possibly 400$ on bullcrap Microsoft just soooo frustrated with this whole process. And, here I am thinking building a new computer may be fun, HA!

Don't quite understand what technet plus is. I am not and IT Professional do I don't quite get the usefulness of this.

daship

Distinguished
Tech net plus = access to most microsoft software with keys. Im not an IT pro either its just the cheapest way to obtain Retail versions of MS software. I run 4 computers at home all with Windows and Office. All I pasi is $199 for my subscription.

A recovery CD will work for the OEM PC it was shipped with but not on a different machine or different motherboard. As long as your hard drive is the only thing replace it will work no problem.

Retail license say 1 at a time bla bla, but it does indeed work on more then 1 at a time.

G

Debian 6 - I can do everything I used to do in Windows just as well if not better in some areas, I have consoles for gaming so not worried about that really.