Windows 7 Overtakes Windows XP as Leading OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I personally havent seen a pc with winxp in quite a while. I had the feeling W7 was in the lead by alot. goes to show almost half the pc users in the world havent upgraded their pcs in many years.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Windows 8 will be the most "successful" $$ OS for Microsoft .. and there are a couple of reasons for this:

1. It will come preinstalled on every laptop, AIO, tablet, OEM desktop (larger install base then all the previous windows could muster since it includes tablets now)
2. A larger install base means more licenses sold therefor means more $$
3. As a by product of such a large install base, ppl that want to downgrade to windows 7 on their desktop/laptops .. will pay for a W7 license so ... more cash to MS either way.

The bottom line is, on paper, it'll set a new record on copies sold in bulk .. but when you filter by platform .. well .. who cares right? Money in the bank!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]Windows 8 will be the most "successful" $$ OS for Microsoft .. and there are a couple of reasons for this:1. It will come preinstalled on every laptop, AIO, tablet, OEM desktop (larger install base then all the previous windows could muster since it includes tablets now) 2. A larger install base means more licenses sold therefor means more $$3. As a by product of such a large install base, ppl that want to downgrade to windows 7 on their desktop/laptops .. will pay for a W7 license so ... more cash to MS either way.The bottom line is, on paper, it'll set a new record on copies sold in bulk .. but when you filter by platform .. well .. who cares right? Money in the bank![/citation]

You forgot about Vista then.....

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
What ever. My main gaming rig runs 7-64 but my bootcamp partition will stay on my mini-mac as long as the hardware still works for all those thousands of legacy PC games out there. Amazon has them all at dirt cheap prices. Baldur's Gate and the Icewind Dale series are two that come to mind.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I giggle a little, inside my inner forum:
Most of those copies ARE pirate, as there are many many ways to bypass any security by ms.

I dont understand how an OS expects to be the mainstream option if buying an original OS (whether it is XP or 7) for a machine is quite expensive, reduces budget to get better components, and yields almost no benefit over pirate (with proper activation and with previous analysis for backdoors) version.

Oh well, thats just me.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I personally havent seen a pc with winxp in quite a while. I had the feeling W7 was in the lead by alot. goes to show almost half the pc users in the world havent upgraded their pcs in many years.[/citation]
I work as a software developer for a tech firm and all of our computers are still running xp / server 2k3. Its getting really old as most of the newer dev tools I'm using don't work well on XP. Supposedly they are planning on upgrading in the next 6 months or so, but I doubt it. I'm guessing that most other corporate computers are running XP.

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]You forgot about Vista then.....[/citation]

Not actually. Windows 7 came very fast after Vista. Vista was one of those most shortest "new" OS in the market cases. So no wonder that Vista is not so big, considern the short lifespan and very stormy public opinion. The win 8 will live longer than Vista did. The facelift version of windows 8 (win 9) will come in shedule if everything goes ok in a couple of years after Win 8. Because win 9 will have the same core and UI than win 8, it will be easier to MS to produce it to the market, so they have more time to tinker it sleeker and add some features as replasement to disk operation system, so it will be better than win 8 will be but that is how OS normally develop. Facelifts/upgrades are more stable and more robust. The very new consept has more problems. This time the difference between win7 and win8 is mainly just UI so it does not reguire so much from MS to make it very stable. So win 8 should live longer than Vista did.
But win 7 is so popular that it will be guite high in the list at least near 2020 when the support will end, like now is happening to win XP. So concratulatios to new king OS win 7!

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Just FYI for all the people complaining about Windows 8. You know there is a nice, free little program by Stardock that puts the Start Button, with Windows 7 style menus back and makes it bypass the "Metro UI" right to the desktop when you boot. Oh and one other thing, windows core is the same as Windows 7 with a lot more optimization, performance and power tweaks.

Been running Windows 8 RTM on my $10K gaming rig with no issues since it's release and not have not looked back to Windows 7 since.

So you can stop you attention getting, 12 year-old rants on how bad windows 8 when you A. Haven't even used it and B. Just complaining to complain.

Maybe im going crazy but I though windows 7 overtook xp like a year ago?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/15/windows-7-overtakes-xp-globally-vista-found-weeping-in-a-corner/

(pretty sure toms had an article on this even but cant seam to find it)

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
It's funny to see that Windows users are always complaining about new OS's coming out and Mac users don't seem to have an opinion. Why is that?

obsama1

Distinguished
I hope MS does a Platform Update for 7 like they did for Vista. Bring DX11.1 and all the optimizations to 7, and those who want the Windows 8 UI can get get Windows 8.

MisterD70

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
There is 1 reason, and 1 reason only that Win-7 is leading.

Direct-X10-11 support.

I can guarantee you that if XP had directx-10-11 support, nobody would really feel the need to switch.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Maybe im going crazy but I though windows 7 overtook xp like a year ago? http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/15 [...] -a-corner/(pretty sure toms had an article on this even but cant seam to find it)[/citation]

I'm quite sure that that would be inaccurate unless 7 only took the top spot for a short period of time and XP took it back.

People just don't like change. Took this long for them to mass adopt a massively better OS than XP.

I'd rather use vista than xp any day. Windows 8 looks like pretty much the same if you don't use metro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS