Windows 7 partition hanging after messing around

felix.fainshtein

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
EDIT: How do you attach screenshots from my computer???

Hello good people.
So, it's going to take a while to explain the chain of events leading to my current problem, I know it's convoluted and long but please bear with me and I will try to explain it as best as I can.

My dad's pc has 2 hard drives: an old drive from which he created a clone ("new") a month ago, and the clone on which he has been working since. They both have several partitions. Each drive has a partition on which win 7 is installed and one on which win 10 is installed, and he's only been using the new one for the past month.

Yesterday, he was trying to back up a .pst file from win 7 (probably not very important). Upon completion, he used partition magic 8.0 (what he's always been using) to switch to the win 10 partition, but something went wrong and win 10 couldn't load and instead we got a "something went wrong :(" blue screen which then lead us to some of win 10's troubleshooting tools - none of which worked (they all threw some kind of errors).
Ironically, while you might think that is what I was gonna ask about, it is not, because since yesterday we've made matters even worse.

Don't ask why, but today we used the same program with which my dad cloned the old hard drive - "Acronis" - to delete the contents of some unused partition from the new drive. We thought that
it might help us with something but it didn't, and what followed is pretty bad. Upon leaving Acronis and trying to boot again (back to the win 10 troubleshooting tools) we suddenly got a black screen
with the msg "No operating system found". It seems that for some reason, after deleting the old unused partition, that partition was somehow set to be the active partition.

At this point we connected back the old hard drive (which is working fine) and entered win 7 to take a look at the disks and partitions inside the Disk Management tool.
I think the partitions of the new drive got completely messed up because none of the partitions had a drive letter next to them and the active partition was indeed the empty one which we had deleted. So, using DISKPART, I was able to do 3 things:
1. Change the right partition to be the active one (the leftmost one).
2. Assigned the letter E to the volume that represents the new hard drive - after which the letter E appeared next to the right-most partition.
3. Set the "info" attribute of that volume so it wouldn't be "Hidden" (I thought this might solve the issue).
After that I tried to boot from the windows 7 partition (the one I set to Active) of the new drive and indeed the logo of windows 7 appeared(!!!) but got hung on the splash screen.

So to sum up my problem is this:
After setting the win 7 partition of the new drive to ACTIVE and trying to boot from it, I get to the splash screen with the windows 7 logo...and it just stays there.

I don't know what else to do and could really use some help. Here are some relevant screenshots:
As you can see, Disk 0 is my faulty new drive, and it's left most partition is the one I set to active using DISKPART...but win 7 just hangs when I boot it.
The right-most partition (454 MB) for some reason is the only one that's associated with volume E.
Disk 1 is my old drive which works fine.

c0ug6.png

This is a screenshot from DISKPART showing the partitions I have on my old drive, and the details of Partition #1 which is working and booting my old win 7.

3rmzl.jpg

And lastly, this shows the partition on my new drive, as well as details on Partition #1 which is set to Active but NOT WORKING.

k24ub.png

First of all, none of your screenshots are showing at all.

Second, please fix that wall of text if you really want somebody to offer assistance. Nobody likes having to try and make sense out of a "holy wall of text batman" type post. Paragraphs are your friend. Regardless of whether you are posting from a phone or tablet, you can take the time to do this. I do it all the time as do others. Too hard trying to read text walls like that.

felix.fainshtein

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

Ok, I befriended paragraphs and edited a little. But how do you attach photos? When I pressed "Picture" it asked for a URL, and I gave the local url to the images on my pc.

felix.fainshtein

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

Thx for the feedback. I added a part zooming in on my problem, and I managed to attach the images.

Solution

felix.fainshtein

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

Sorry but what are the 'secondary drives'? (if it's the old and new drive, why did you refer to them as secondaries?)
And do you mean by removing them?

USAFRet

Titan
You need to start over completely, with a proper OS install.
From what I can see of your Disk Management window, it would take FAR longer to "fix" that, vs just starting from scratch.

Decide which drive you want to be the OS drive.
The 1TB or the 500GB.

Disconnect ALL other drives, and do a full wipe and reinstall.
Start from a known good configuration.

Can you assign a drive letter to those 540GB and 197GB partitions on Disk 0 and check, what's inside of them?
Disk management shows, that they are completely empty.
Also same thing with partitions on Disk 1 - 96Gb and 98GB. What's inside of those? They also seem empty.

So - assign drive letters, check what's inside and run chkdisk on those partitions (if anything is there).

A secondary drive is ANY drive that does not have the operating system installed on it, or that you don't PLAN to install the operating system on. Drives 2, 3, 4, 5, etc., would all be SECONDARY drives. Drive 1 would be the primary drive.

And just FYI, having another drive attached to the system that HAD windows installed on it, is already going to have a boot partition, which windows will look for during the installation and will likely cause windows to NOT install a new boot partition, which is something you DON'T want to happen, so disconnect ALL other drives during the installation process.

TRENDING THREADS