Windows 7 PC can't find wireless printer

Mar 28, 2018
HP windows 7 PC can't find HP wireless printer connected to network (wirelessly) but if that printer is hardwired to router, the PC can find it wirelessly.

Mar 28, 2018

I cannot ping it while the printer only connected wirelessly. THere is no other computer there (sister's place); however I discovered she has an iPad and it cannot find the printer while it is connected wirelessly. All is okay when printer connected via cat-5 directly to router.

Therefore, I guess is it really some issue with the Arris AT&T router which is somehow blocking access to the printers. I don't see any settings firewall-wise which say block, but something there is.

Therefore I guess ultimately, this is not W7 related at all and I'm doomed to hours on the phone with AT&T non-support.

Thank you for your time in reading and replying.

hang-the-9

Titan
If you can't ping the printer, need to check it why it's not connecting. If you print a test page, does it show a valid IP for the wifi, like 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x? Did you run the wifi setup on the printer to connect it?

Does not sound like a Windows issue at all, and probably not a router issue, need to check the printer config first to see if it's even connected to your WiFi and go from there.

Mar 28, 2018

Thanks.
Wirelessly it shows up as 192.168.1.200 and while connected cat-5 as .202 -- test page and "network report" for either connections shows it as connected. Yes I followed the HP setup for the setup.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

hang-the-9

Titan
So it has a correct IP on wireless but you can't ping that address? It's not on a guest WiFi is it? If it's on guest WiFi it will be segregated from the normal network. See if there is an update for the printer while it's on a cable, and run that. The router should not be blocking access to the printer, it's on the same network.

Mar 28, 2018

I'll check that out, thanks!

Mar 28, 2018

Interesting since wireless was set up first, but I shall explore how to set a hard-coded IP on this AT&T router.
thanks for taking the time to reply