Question Windows 7 PC display keeps freezing/crashing. Help!

Jan 7, 2020
Hey all. My PC that I've had for nearly 7-8 years keeps crashing. About halfway through its life, I added 4 GB of RAM, a new hyper evo fan cooler and upgraded to an AMD fx 8320.

When my PC freezes, the fan is still running and everything is on, but my display keeps freezing and I can't even CNTRL + ALT + DELETE. The mouse won't move and this happens no more than 5 minutes after logging into windows 7.
Sometimes it locks up while booting up. Safe mode or not, my PC will eventually freeze.
The only time my PC doesn't freeze no matter how long I run it is when it idles in BIOS.

Something that has happened twice is. After I'm forced to hard reset after a crash (holding power button) when my PC turns back on, the fan spins up and then the computer shuts off before the initial Asus logo comes up. It does this 3-4 times before it finally boots up and starts normally. Not sure why it randomly is shutting off.
Typically my CPU is at 60-70 Celcius after entering BIOS following a freeze/crash.

I put new thermal paste on, I cleaned out my PC and my room is pretty cold. Even after cleaning the thermal paste and adding new paste, the running temperature remains the same. About 40-45 celcius when idle on BIOS, and 50-60 when computer is running on the web and playing games. The fan never has to spin faster than 1650 RPMS even though I set no limits to it. No, I don't overclock. I run all things stock.

Here's my PC specs.
AMD FX 8320 (Arctic silver paste)
Hyper Evo cooler 4-pin connector ($30 one)
12 GB DDR3/4 RAM all 3 sticks same brand
750 Watt power
ASUS M-board (M5A99FX Pro r2.0)
All drivers up to date. I recently updated my processor to AMD 19.12.2 or something like that.
Before I had 18.something but it froze in that update as well so the update is not the issue.

If you have any questions or need more info please ask I will do my best.
I'm have nothing but problems with AMD once I get the settlement money from the lawsuit from the FX lineup, I'm switching to i-5/i-7 CPU setup. I feel like AMD was a mistake. To my knowledge, nothing is over heating and safe mode is not safe. I don't know what could causing these random freezes unless my CPU is just getting old and dying...

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information.

Make and model of your PSU and is it 7-8 years old? What was your prior processor? Speaking of which, why do you have 3 sticks of ram on a 4 slotted motherboard? It's like have 3 wheels on a car that's meant to run on 4 wheels. Are all sticks of ram the same or are they mixed and matched? You forgot to include the make and model of your GPU.

Change the PSU to something reliably made and is branded and remove ones stick of ram.

Jan 7, 2020
We're going to need more information.

Make and model of your PSU and is it 7-8 years old? What was your prior processor? Speaking of which, why do you have 3 sticks of ram on a 4 slotted motherboard? It's like have 3 wheels on a car that's meant to run on 4 wheels. Are all sticks of ram the same or are they mixed and matched? You forgot to include the make and model of your GPU.

Change the PSU to something reliably made and is branded and remove ones stick of ram.

Sorry for the late response.
Just put a new CPU in thinking it was the CPU. Computer is still freezing.

I used to run 8GB of ram, I upgraded to 12GB. All ram sticks are the same brand and size. It ran fine before and long after the ram upgrade.

Forgive me for my ignorance what is a PSU. Is that the power supply.

The GPU is an AMD Radeon HD7850

Jan 7, 2020
Power supply is a 650 watt Corsair enthusiasts series TX650 watt 80+ Bronze .
I bought it on 2013 so it's 6-7 years old. I bought it at the time for $80.

Also the cooler is a 3 pin not 4 pin connector.
Sorry I'm still learning the difference between certain components.

Also how would I be able to test if I had a bad power supply or bad power cables? It would be nice if I didn't have to fork over $150 for another unit if I didn't have to.

Last edited: