Windows 7 PC slows after being on for a few hours

simonides

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Hi all, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit, 4GB RAM on an Intel Core i5-2500k @3.3 GHz. All's well until it's been on for a some hours and then I find it's almost impossible to log back on, it's just so slow. All I can do is power off and back on, after which it's fine for a few more hours.

Would certainly appreciate any thoughts as to what I should be looking at to solve this one.

thanks in advance!

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
My initial thought is that you may be having issues due to low memory (RAM) as the longer a PC is on, the more extraneous data is left in the RAM. I would start with checking the settings for virtual memory (I can walk you through this if need be), and increasing it possibly, to see if that helps, and if so, then you may need to upgrade to 8GB of RAM. I'm not certain this is the cause, but it's the simplest explanation. Let me know what your virtual memory settings are, and we'll take it from there.

MC_K7

Distinguished

Good suggestion. He could also check his event view for errors, and also use task manager or other software to monitor his processes, maybe one of them is eating all the resources over time.

simonides

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Thank you for the prompt suggestions:

Virtual Memory
Automatically Manage Paging File Size for all Drives is Set.
Total paging file size for all drives
Minimum allowed: 16MB
Recommended: 6010 MB
Currently allocated 4007MB

I see several DNS Client errors during the slow period- There was an error while attempting to read the local hosts file. Not sure if that's significant. I'd post something from event view but not sure how to extract it for posting.

thanks, Simonides.

TRENDING THREADS