Windows 7 Pro hangs when using more than 4mb of ddr-2 ram

maestrolv

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
My computer runs Windows 7 great as long as I have 4mb of ram on the motherboard. The Mobo can holed upto 8mb of ram , but windows hangs at startup window. How can I get it to boot up with 8mb of ram? Has anyone been able to do it with more than 4mb of ram?

Solution
I wonder if the voltage was different on the two pairs and causing them to fail. I cant find the CGM2 voltage but there are different XMS2 with different voltage

Post back when you get your new ram. Hopefully it works out for you

digitalvivo

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Have you check your mobo specs for compatability?

I am going to make an assumption here so please correct me if i am wrong

You have 4x 2gb of RAM = 8GB total
When you have 4GB installed you are using only two sticks.
One/two of the other sticks not installed when running only 4GB might be bad...
OR
the other one/two slots on your board is bad

Elaborate on this some more to clear up any confusion because I probably made a lot. Otherwise test your memory with something like MEMTEST86+

Post back with you findings

maestrolv

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Yes you are correct .I used 2 sticks ,2 gb each. (Cosair XMS2 / CM2X2048C5 800mhz)
I took one to best Buy to get two more like it and they gave me instead, 2 Cosair Gaming Memory 2mb sticks (CGM2x2G800)
and said they would be compatible/ equivalent to the XMS2's.
It said on the motherboard manual (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0) that as long as to pairs were the same type and brand they should work/ The boot up shows the 8mb , but when windows starts (if I don't get a black screen that hangs first)
The "Windows Starting" page just hangs forever.
I think my system doesnt like the "Gaming" memory, or they could be defective. I tried all four Ram slots and they only work with the 2 XMS2 DDR-2's. I have them in right now as I'm typing this using Windows & Pro on the computer I'm having trouble with. I tried the 2 gamo\ing sticks together by themselves and the bois wouldn't even come up.
So is it bad ram, and can I return them (they're only 2 days old) or do I have to take the loss and just buy the same type of ram and try again?

digitalvivo

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I wonder if the voltage was different on the two pairs and causing them to fail. I cant find the CGM2 voltage but there are different XMS2 with different voltage

Post back when you get your new ram. Hopefully it works out for you

Solution

maestrolv

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I couldn't find it either but the ones I have that work are 1.9v and 5-5-5-18 latency
The "Gaming" sticks don't tell you squat. Not even inside the packaging with the install instructions.
I think these "gaming" sticks are crap.

maestrolv

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I took the Ram back and got my money back. Now I'm looking for a 64bit version of Windows XP Pro and then I will get the extra Ram from Newegg. My system can run Xpmode or Virtual PC on Windows 7 . What they faild to say in there sales pitch is that if your CPU processor has to have HARDWARE VIRTUALIZATION capabilities, which is my guess alot of XP users don't have unless you switch out the CPU's or buy another damn computer system that has it. I can't even load Vista drivers for my Tascam Us-122 audio/midi interface under Win7. It wont accept squat.
Win 7 got a long way to go in my book before I use it again. Not enough drivers available to run stuff with.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

I think it's just the board, i had the same problems running 4 sticks of 1066, i actually had to clear the cmos because it would hang at the gigabyte screen, it running fine now, but it was a bitch installing windows 7 pro on this board.

maestrolv

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

What made it so such a bitch to install. After clearing the CMOS how did you reset it so it would work with Win 7