Windows 7 pro (x64) apps keep not responding with 2 external HDD's plugged in.

hoover1979

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
On my Gaming/Home Theater rig I have 2 external HDDs 1x WD elements 1Tb and 1 brand new WD elements 3Tb.

If both are plugged in Windows goes haywire, apps crash or hang with windows giving me an error saying the app has stopped responding and giving me the button to end the process, however I can hammer that end process button till I'm blue in the face but the process won't end.

Windows explorer constantly crashes and windows won't shut down, instead hanging on the "Shutting down" screen for all eternity forcing me to hold the power button down to actually get the PC to turn off. Is this because I have a 600w PSU (Antec)?

Is this an issue of not enough power to power:
Both external HDD's (1Tb and 3Tb),.
4x internal (including an 8Tb a 4Tb a 3Tb and a 1.5Tb) HDDs, 1x SSD (120Gb for OS).
A i7-4970k, a gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming.
A Noctua NH-L12 cooler.
An ASUS PCE-AC68 Wifi Card (My PC is now in my lounge room and my router is still in my study).
A Logitech G710+ keyboard.
A Logitech G502 Proteus Core mouse.
A Logitech F-710 Wireless controller.
An AVerMedia Volar Green HD USB2.0 HDTV Tuner.
A Bluetooth 4.0 USB 2.0 Dongle, and
A Sound blaster Zx (connected to Logitech z605 5.1 speakers)?

The only theories I can amass is an issue with either:

A: 600w is not enough power to power everything on my system

B: My PSU is dying, although I was able to use 2 External HDDS before that was before my 8Tb internal HDD and my SSD for my OS was installed.

Assistance would be appreciated.

G

Your PSU is quite enough to power up your system. I'm eyeing on your motherboard though. What is the model of your board?

There is a possibility for driver errors.

G

Do provide specifics like how old is your system? What is the full specs of your system? DId you change any windows drivers or made any rollbacks?

Can you perform stress tests with each hardware in your pc?

600 watts PSU is enough with a good quality build.

If your PSU is dying, then you should experience some random reboots when you are using too much power. For example overclocking your cpu or gpu.

If you want proper assistance, provide enough details or history.

hoover1979

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
my system is a constant work in progress my mobo and cpu are around 32-3 years old. My RAM and GPU is 1 year old, my 8Tb HDD is 5 months old, my SSD is 2 months old. My tv tuner and PCIe wifi card are 3 days old. I have not done any rollbacks. I am using the mobo drivers that came with the board. I have not been able to flash my BIOS as the ezy-flash freezes my system when I click it and I am worried if I do it manually I might brick my mobo. I performed a clean install of windows 7 pro x64 on the SSD and used the WSUS offline updater for the updates as windows update will not work for me at all.

I don't understand why if on external HDD is connected all is fine, but when connecting a second one causes all these issues, and am at a loss as to what to do to identify and resolve the issue allowing more than one external HDD without windows going haywire.

I have tried all the USB 3.0 Ports and the problem is not resolved, I am wondering if there is an issue regarding the USB ports on the mobo, and I am unsure if I can still get another mobo without having to add a new cpu too.

What programs can be recommended to stress test my rig? If the PSU is not to blame I am starting to think my mobo is too old and is malfunctioning, but I can not gather definitive evidence to prove this as the culprit, I would be rather annoyed if I purchase a new mobo and this problem continues.

G

Well, that is really frustrating. There is a possibility that your board maybe malfunction. I suggest you download aida64 and use the trial version. There is a stress test feature available there.

Based from your statement, your motherboard cannot handle multiple devices using usb ports. Chipset errors maybe? I'm not sure. Probably motherboard dying too.

If you want to test out your components, you can try plugging different parts from your computer to another PC of your peers( it will be a hassle but it will definitely give you a higher chance of a better diagnosis)

I suspect the motherboard but try stress testing your computer first without any devices connected except for the keyboard and mouse(of course).

In my current situtation, we are having the same effects but different scenarios though, When I play a game i.e. CSGO, i cannot multi task nor press "alt+tab" in order for me to avoid a random reboot.

I stress tested my cpu, hdd,gpu and all are doing okay. I hope this helps you a little bit from my experience.

hoover1979

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

I tried the BIOS update in BIOS. As soon as I click "Ezyflash" the pc freezes and I have to hold the power button untill it powers off. this happens every time so I can not update the BIOS. It is still on the stock-standard version that shipped with the mobo 3 or so years ago.

I have heard some real horror stories of people bricking their mobo's attempting to flash from windows and even being told that as they did it themselves their warranties were void. I am loathed to try it at all costs.

hoover1979

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

I did. Having 2 external HDD's mucks up Windows 7 on my rig, no matter what USB ports I use. I have tried all USB 2.0 ports and all USB 3.0 ports and the problem persists all the time.

I even tried to shut down the PC with both external HDDs inserted and went to bed the other night. 8 or 9 hours later I got up and sure enough my PC was still on and displaying the windows "Shutting Down" screen, so I had to hold the power button down untill it powered off.

Really ****ing annoying! :(

are any other usb devices plugged in than the one usb flash drive (formatted to fat16 or fat32 single partition), which has the BIOS update on?
so you enter bios, press advanced, tool menu, asus ez flash 2 utility and then nothing?

clear cmos by jumper and try again

edit:
use the black usb ports at the back, not the blue ports

hoover1979

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
It seems like my RAMDisk utility (DimmDrive) was compounding the issue. after I got a BSOD I have been running my rig without the RAMDisk active and have both External HDD's connected. Windows is a bit slow (Especially for running off of an SSD) but is not having explorer and apps/games getting stuck in a not responding cycle.

I believe the BSOD was a RAM stop error, but a RAM diagnostic showed no damage on a 2 pass scan, (My RAM is only just over 1 year old)

TRENDING THREADS