Windows 7 problems with wireless adapter or access point

mewsingcat

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hello,
New windows 7 laptops ( late 2011 ) dont want to connect to an established wireless network using WPA 2 PSK ( Netgear router on a Virgin cable modem )including one wired ethernet connection to the router on my Acer desktop and 4 wireless connections - 2 laptops and a netbook running windows 7 and a laptop on XP sp2 . 4 machines have McAfee 2011 installed and 2 use Norton 2012 . Everything worked until latest Windows 7 Laptop arrived. Its been checked out and has everything working. Router has latest firmware installed.

Solution
Yes, as you deduced you should clear the old MAC addresses and change your security passphrase, router id and router password. Should be fixed now.

mewsingcat

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

yes the Network is visible in the tray bottom right
and yes the network card is switched on !
it runs the connecting bar / dots then says its cannot connect to my network and refers me thru a process which leads no where & round in a circle !!!!
Now the first laptop( W7) to exhibit the problem seems ok ( i reset the modem ) and the newest one is playing up instead....
while i have solved the issue here temporarily at home my daughters(W7) laptop at university digs is doing the same thing at her student address.

RealBeast

Titan
Sounds like a security related issue. Do you have MAC address protection on in the router? If so turn in off or enter all the MAC addresses. What encryption scheme is your router using -- AES or TKIP? Try changing that and using a fresh passphrase in the router and on the laptops.

mewsingcat

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
yes i am using MAC address protection but all the macs are registered on the router control panel ! ok can wipe and re-add I suppose and change passphrase- will try that ...............